Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 7th 2010, 18:28:30

[repost of what I had on API users, since there wasn't a lot of activity there :p]
well, more accurately, replacing it with a fresh system now that we have a good, reliable data setup. It's been something I've been wanting to start on for a while, but I've been busy with other project (such as EE, my thesis and work :p)

I'll be overseeing the project and TC will remain as the server host, but since, as I mentioned, I have a lots of other work to do (and I'd rather focus my 'hobby' time on EE), I thought I'd see if any folks are interested in working on this project. QZ, Slag, and Nuk may be involved as well

As far as what we'll be doing, here is the 30 second rundown
- Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP
- We'll be using a similar system as EE in terms of permissions and how pages are served to users
- It will be a public service that will eventually replace Boxcar (including migrating existing data from Boxcar and other hosting sites)
- It won't be a part of EE, but it may have opportunities to be tied into it -- Boxcar was what I always used to build Game to Site API's before I made them live, so this site would replace that in that context

There are a couple of conditions for those interested...
- If you are part of this project, it should be in favour of your current one, meaning that this will be the priority hosting site project for everyone involved. Obviously, there will still need to be support for old sites while it's being built, but the eventual goal should be for all of the developers to phase out their existing sites. I know this is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks, but I want to make sure that everyone is going to give their all and not just stay peripherally involved because their alliance is hosted elsewhere.
- Anything you write should be made available to all alliances in some form. We can write specific API's that link to 'proprietary' tools like war bots and stuff, but specific alliances should not get features other alliances don't get just because a developer plays there. Features undergoing testing can be tested by developers' alliances.
- All developers will need to be vetted and not be affiliated with people who have broken the EE rules. This is a necessity because there is so much data available.
- This can't be a "learning" project for anyone. I did that with Boxcar and that's why I'm so unhappy with it :p I didn't know a line of PHP when I started, and even though I've updated a TON of stuff, it's still detrimental to be working on that codebase. If you're new to PHP or web programming, that's great... but we may not be able to take on those folks at the moment.

So if you're interested in getting involved, let me know in some manner and we can discuss!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

starbucks Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 18:42:31

Im in!

you can email me at flcu001 (at) gmail (dot) com

--starbucks

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 7th 2010, 19:04:24

new member with 1 post?

that won't pass the vetting process :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

kemo Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 19:32:54

im good with ms word
all praised to ra

joe2 Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 19:34:36

I can handle the ms paint parts!

Shinigami Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 19:54:36

I'm swamped with my own PHP recoding but I'll stand on the sideline and cheer you on.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 19:59:54

I will volunteer to give content suggestions!

Fooglmog Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 22:07:04

- If you are part of this project, it should be in favour of your current one, meaning that this will be the priority hosting site project for everyone involved. Obviously, there will still need to be support for old sites while it's being built, but the eventual goal should be for all of the developers to phase out their existing sites. I know this is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks, but I want to make sure that everyone is going to give their all and not just stay peripherally involved because their alliance is hosted elsewhere.

Lost me there, sorry mate. iMagNum won't be moving off its current hosting so my priority won't be switching. Not that I've done anything for letskillstuff.org recently...

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 7th 2010, 22:09:55

that's fine, Fooglmog... that's why I said "this is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks" :p

-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

DeathRider Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 22:13:05

so does this mean boxcar will be no more, and everything will be in game now? or will boxcar still be around?

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 7th 2010, 22:14:58

well if you read my post, it says that this will be a replacement for Boxcar...

as in, something new that does what boxcar does now, but does it better. It's becoming annoying to maintain that codebase and rather than work on that, I'd rather put my effort towards a new codebase which is built for EE, rather than being built on top of systems developed in 2004 :p

-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

NoleICN Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 22:28:19

im with detmer lol been playing this (and E2025) too long not to have plenty of suggestions....

just cant code worth a crap lol
Nole

Retired

Thomas Game profile

Sep 7th 2010, 23:59:01

I know basic HTML :P

Always wanted to learn but it would take a great teacher :P

archaic Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 0:52:45

I could not even use the cereal box decoder rings . . . I failed pascal in high school.

I wish I could help.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

mrford Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 1:11:11

Like I told you earlier, I you need a basic sidfigs program I can help!

Other than that I can't code worth a fluff. Be happy to make suggestions though.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 8th 2010, 1:36:44

thanks for all the well wishes everyone -- it'll all be very open, so progress will be trackable and such :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

kemo Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 2:31:28

ha! thats what obama said about any new laws in the works
all praised to ra

Thunder Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 6:09:52

ha thats what was said about kemos legs
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

KeSSie Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 12:18:34

LOL

uhhh...I mean..

Gosh, Thunder..that wasn't very nice! :-P
EL YAY!

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 8th 2010, 13:58:30

This is cool!

I can help you test for bugs (UAT Testing :p) if you need someone for that sort of thing, which you should because it is well known that developers of their own products are not the best bug testers ha!

At sometime in the future I'd love to see the alliance hosting be integrated into the game it's self and become streamline. I can see the great benefits of having the alliance site be part of the game somehow...

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 8th 2010, 14:45:55

well, from a game perspective, we are aware of that and want to make the game facilitate better clan management. This would be more suited for things like team server, though

we've worked on streamlining it somewhat already, making ops auto-upload and stuff

there's lots of opportunities :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 8th 2010, 15:20:44

I am able to put the circle block in the square hole.

Don't even ask how.

Acheron Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 11:30:34

If I had time.. maybe. :)

kemo Game profile

Sep 11th 2010, 13:43:28

zen thats what my little neice claims to do. every time it dont fit she just opens the lid and tosses it in
all praised to ra

Devestation Game profile

Sep 12th 2010, 11:33:37

I failed the newbie coding in year 10, back when I first started to play this game. Can't do a thing for ya.

bore Game profile

Patron

Sep 12th 2010, 12:59:38

heh, my php doesn't really play well with others:p