Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 23rd 2021, 23:03:46

Considering one changes (got rid of the other one):

1) The "asking" column for the public market will be a link that shows a small table of information about valid standing orders. The table would factor in the money of the country that placed the order as well as other standing orders for that country. Example output for an asking price of $3100:

Price | Quantity
3000 | 1
2900 | 100
2800 | 3043943

In this example, sellers wouldn't be fooled by the empty SO at $3100 or the low volume SOs at $2900 and $3000. They might sell at $2800 instead because they know that there are valid orders at that price.

Reasons for the change:

A) Standing orders feel too powerful for buyers.
B) Giving sellers access to more information may make markets more efficient.
C) It's straightforward to implement, balance, and test.

Share any feedback that you have.

Edited By: Slagpit on May 25th 2021, 5:51:11
See Original Post

Crippler ICD Game profile

May 23rd 2021, 23:10:23

why not just 1 S/O per item per country instead of 3?
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

[14:26] <enshula> i cant believe im going to say this
[14:26] <enshula> crippler is giving us correct netting advice

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 23rd 2021, 23:15:44

Originally posted by Crippler ICD:
why not just 1 S/O per item per country instead of 3?

As a seller I've learned to ignore most standing orders because buyers simply aren't trustworthy. Changing the S/O limit from 3 to 1 doesn't help with that. The lack of flexibility with just 1 per item hurts destocking for cashers and farmers on Express and I'm sure would cause problems elsewhere.

Does allowing for 3 per item cause some type of issue that I'm not aware of?

Tmac Game profile

May 24th 2021, 1:21:50

This is great.

Molotov Game profile

EE Patron

May 24th 2021, 2:10:36

Good for sellers. I wonder how things react when buyers can see others’ SOs and bid against each other.

You could still put in an SO for more units than you can afford to sucker in a seller.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 24th 2021, 4:35:23

Originally posted by Molotov:
Good for sellers. I wonder how things react when buyers can see others’ SOs and bid against each other.

You could still put in an SO for more units than you can afford to sucker in a seller.

The quantity shown in the SO report would be adjusted based on the money that the buyer has so that wouldn't work anymore.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 24th 2021, 13:43:37

I don't see a downside to this. It will be a marginal improvement on the market I think and that is always welcome as it is the core of this game, it's always been the distinguishing factor between Earth and Utopia and other such games.

If you say it is easy to do, then do it.

Bug Game profile

EE Patron

May 24th 2021, 14:20:37

This is nice, will help limit the destructive practice of setting high SO's with no chance of them being filled, just to bulk up the market more.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

May 25th 2021, 4:31:53

the 3 orders at the same price is sort of the opposite problem your probably looking at solving

which is more a market where you cant buy decent quantities rather than one where you cant sell decent quantities, both are exacerbated by having a very small number of buyers and sellers in a commodity especially when you add in time crunch

thats usually someone whos either playing multiple times a day to frontload income or keep costs/nw down for CI

im not sure how youll handle other SO's from a country for example if i set a huge food order at 34 or less now they almost certainly would never get filled but maybe i could use it to hid a large food order at 35 as just being small instead

then theres demo resellers just trying to buy something cheap across 17 categories not caring which one they buy

and of course when your selling why not set multiple small SO's and refresh them so people think they might need to buy your stuff or miss out, and sellers dont undercut by as much, so if you want to take that away its fine, and

one problem with this change is in some servers it feels impossible to get your tech levels up, and if you set high orders you dont get more tech you just raise the price

thats more a problem if your very big compared to the market, so 400k in alliance or 16 huge non techers in ffa, even if you run a lot of techers yourself there it doesnt really solve the issue though

if we go down this path should there be something similar for buyers too?

one option id look at is letting people place orders that sellers can sell into directly but delays when the income is received from them, so you dont just get the cash instantly but either standard market time or related to standard market time, perhaps half or double depending on what you want to achieve

the problem with trying to do something like that is to do with turns being used to sell, but perhaps it would be worth even allowing it for free in turns cost to see what happens, or making it use turns the first time but providing a grace period after where it doesnt use turns?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 25th 2021, 5:53:46

Originally posted by enshula:
one problem with this change is in some servers it feels impossible to get your tech levels up, and if you set high orders you dont get more tech you just raise the price

thats more a problem if your very big compared to the market, so 400k in alliance or 16 huge non techers in ffa, even if you run a lot of techers yourself there it doesnt really solve the issue though

What exactly do you mean here? Are you talking about the phenomenon where sellers will sell for a few dollars above the asking price? I'm not sure why that happens but maybe giving sellers more information will make it happen less often.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

May 25th 2021, 14:26:12

was still discussing the idea of changing from 3 to 1 SO for each category

the reason to do it though would be to avoid some possible shenanigans

sorry it was pretty poorly written

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance & FFA

May 27th 2021, 1:48:22

This looks good to me.
LittleItaly