Verified:

llaar Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 16:15:27

imagine...

countries in a clan cannot send AB/GS/BR or missile attacks on another clan during peace time (clan defined as 2 or more members, to prevent 1 man tags from escaping this)

the only way for the special attacks to be used, is if one of the tag admins sets the other clan from neutral to war status

once set to war, the other clan is automatically set to war as well. a clan can declare war on as many clans as they want.

incorporate such news of wars to a current events feed either on the forums or on the wiki site.

a request for peace can be made by either side's tag admin, and then must be accepted by the other clan's tag admin before neutral status takes effect

this would prevent all the n00bs that send random attacks and then get frustrated when their leaders yell at them. it would also prevent suiciding from within a clan tag.

also, this would not apply to countries in a clan once they made a landgrab. Clan A with country X and Clan B with country Y. A and B are not at war. X landgrabs Y. Any country in clan B is now allowed to use any attack against country X, since X attacked clan B. that way if someone farms another tag, that tag can still kill them no problem. this would apply to any landgrab, retal or not, since the system can't and shouldn't try to determine retal rules.

also, make it such that when you leave a tag, you enter a 72 hour peace mode, during which time, you can only attack anyone that attacks you. a peaceful regroup of your country adjusting to not being in a clan. so people cannot just detag and suicide away. this would also apply if you clan removes you from their tag. something along the lines of: "humanitarians are upset after your recent clan departure, and refuse to authorize military action" you can retag immediately though to another tag, which would remove this, as long as the clan had 2 or more members, to prevent 1 man tags from escaping this

Detmer Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 16:31:34

I abhor the idea of a tag being anything other than a flag of political association. I say give the players the tools and let them do what they will with them. I feel that suggestions like this try to funnel the game into a rigid form of gameplay.

llaar Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:05:49

this would only affect alliance and free for all. i dont think team server needs this, since tag sizes are limited anyway

there are ingame mechanics for humanitarians and NW of countries you can attack and ingame declare war on another country, and GDI preventing attacks. why not expand the country-country declare war feature, to be a clan-clan declare war feature on the clan servers?

being able to declare clan wars in game i think would be cool for news feeds, especially once facebook integrated. something like: "WAR has been declared on your friend Bob's clan. click here to join the fight!"

W Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:14:07

i like the war dec news feed, it would make the game more interesting to outsiders if the front page had "recent server news" scrolling...

Today - Team Server - Lords etc have been losing at War with RD, Awesome, Whatever for 13 days.
Today - Alliance Server - xNAx declares war on Penguin
Wednesday - FFA - Clan X declares war on Clan Z
Monday - Alliance server...at peace.

If war stats could be incorporated into that say with a button to click next to each war dec. It would be REALLY cool to see not sure how i feel about the attack limiting stuff.
[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)

llaar Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:25:29

well, it would force the declaration of war to start the non landgrab attacks

otherwise there would be no way for an automatic news feed to "know" a war was taking place

and i totally think that making feeds of news to the outside would make things more easier to understand for everyone, whether people checking out the game, or those in the game. largest grab of the day in each server, largest country killed of the day in each server... etc... and throwing in when wars happen would be really nifty and easier to see the politics. every single set, i see at least one post, usually many posts, asking about 'who's warring who?' 'someone explain this set to me' 'why is such and such' if there was a news feed of wars, that the declaring clan's tag admin could link in their war declaration to the news event, it would make things pretty clear

Detmer Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:29:39

I could go for a tag-on-tag war declaration like countries have. Maybe it would give 5% attack bonus between the alliances and a 5% defense bonus against people not involved. That could go in a newsfeed, provide a bonus, but that is it. There would of course need to be limitations... but even with my suggestion PDM and Omega could declare war on one another and promise not to grab just to get a 5% defense bonus...

llaar Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:48:05

in that case, we'd just declare war on all our friends and have like a +40% defense bonus ;)

i see what you're saying though, something that eliminates need for police i guess, like only way to hit tags at war is to declare war on them as well

so declaring war protects you from getting hit from anyone else. tags at war that dont hit each other for X hours, will automatically go back to peace? though that could still be abused by continually declaring war to prevent being grabbed by other clans... but something along those lines that couldn't be exploited, would be really cool, whatever that is

Detmer Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:52:33

well I didn't mean the bonus would stack... basically I don't want your options to be limited except by formalized relations. I think relations need to be driven by players, not game mechanics.

llaar Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:52:37

maybe just missiles can't be sent without war declaration in clan servers?

countries within an alliance in real life don't just missile other countries in another alliance without the alliances being at war with each other

i mean i sorta still like the no special attacks without war declaration idea. since in real life, there are border disputes and land goes back and forth, but when a militiary goes in intentially bombarding another country... think the firebombing of dresden.. or hiroshima.. stuff like that doesn't happen unless the countries are in a state of war

llaar Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:54:14

you could still landgrab though no problem

which is all we do anyway to each other

we only start killing people that did farm or otherwise suicide, which like i said, once you attack at all, the other clan can use any attack they want on you. whether in a state of war or not

Detmer Game profile

Jun 29th 2010, 17:56:33

Originally posted by llaar:
you could still landgrab though no problem

which is all we do anyway to each other

we only start killing people that did farm or otherwise suicide, which like i said, once you attack at all, the other clan can use any attack they want on you. whether in a state of war or not

Maybe you only use special attacks during normal circumstances due to self-imposed political limitations.

Maybe war can be retroactively declared as a result of an attack? I am not a history major, but did Germany ever send France a war declaration in WW2? I imagine they just sort of did it and France figured out later that they were at war.

Edit: and I am aware that France was aware of Germany and set up the Maginot line, etc... my point is that when a country attacks someone in the real world, formalized relations are not necessary.

Edited By: Detmer on Jun 29th 2010, 17:57:22
See Original Post

llaar Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 19:57:21

but that way, if you join an alliance, you join under the understanding your country cannot use special attacks until the leader of the alliance you joined, declares war, and allows you to use special attacks

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 6th 2010, 20:19:43

Detmer... seriously.....

wikipedia WWII:

The war is generally accepted to have begun on 1 September 1939, with the invasion of Poland by Nazi Germany and subsequent declarations of war on Germany by France and most of the countries of the British Empire and Commonwealth.

----

In Western Europe, British troops deployed to the Continent, but in a phase nicknamed the Phoney War by the British and "Sitzkrieg" (sitting war) by the Germans, neither side launched major operations against the other until April 1940.[

---

On that same day, Germany invaded France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg.[57] The Netherlands and Belgium were overrun using blitzkrieg tactics in a few days and weeks, respectively.[58] The French fortified Maginot Line was circumvented by a flanking movement through the thickly wooded Ardennes region,[57] mistakenly perceived by French planners as an impenetrable natural barrier against armoured vehicles.[59] British troops were forced to evacuate the continent at Dunkirk, abandoning their heavy equipment by the end of the month. On 10 June, Italy invaded, declaring war on both France and the United Kingdom;[60] twelve days later France surrendered and was soon divided into German and Italian occupation zones,[61] and an unoccupied rump state under the Vichy Regime. On 14 July, the British attacked the French fleet in Algeria to prevent its possible seizure by Germany.[62]

With France neutralised, Germany began an air superiority campaign over Britain (the Battle of Britain) to prepare for an invasion.[
Finally did the signature thing.

Detmer Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 20:47:49

I was afraid that subsequent posts would be critiquing my assumption on history... oh well =P Whatevs, if I ever declare war on a real country, I will not have a formal declaration =P