Verified:

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Sep 8th 2010, 23:50:08

It is time for us to chat again, immediately.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 0:12:18

Contacted btw, before anyone decides to top this or whatever

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 9th 2010, 0:20:58

ttt
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

BobbyATA Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 0:33:49

lol @ RoRoRoR....

Sep 9th 2010, 0:34:55

We aren't laughing.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

BobbyATA Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 0:40:13

they retal RoR double. So RoRoRoR I assume quadruple. 4 hits like that, should be 1+1+1+2 retals base= 5. Then quadruple it and you are owed 20 retals on the offending PDM country. That, I think is worth laughing at...

Yamaha Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 0:46:34

What's worth laughing at is people with one sided views.

This is a dispute between one alliance with a 72 hour retal policy and one with a 48 hour retal policy.

If you think one owes the other something, then you aren't looking at the whole picture.
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Sep 9th 2010, 0:59:20

Worried about your country then Yamaha?
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 1:02:14

Yeah, something I realize at least about our policy, is how complicated it gets with RoRs and sliding grab windows... like seriously we might need to hire an accountant to deal with this...

TGD Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 1:04:03

Do the bigger alliances like to piss off smaller alliances?

PDM has a 48 hour window, you should abide by their policies. What is so hard about that?

I want to know, is your policy more special because you have twice the members?

It is just like if you go into any REAL country....you have to follow THEIR rules. Your country's home rules don't mean much when you are in another country

When a member hits an alliance with a 48 hour window, you have 48 hours to retail before it expires. Don't think you would be going to LaF and complaining to them about their window

oh well just my 2 cents, what do I know *shurgs*

Yamaha Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 1:05:48

No,
I'm not worried about my country.. This is a game, and I'm PDM's HoW, netting isn't even in my vocabulary. :)
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

TAN Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 1:09:48

If history has a way of repeating itself...

*waits for NA to FS us over retal policy...AGAIN*

(but on a brighter note, at least NA has ONE retal policy, unlike the three they switched through at will like last time)
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Dragonlance Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 1:42:10

i wonder if Na holds a 48hr retal window pact with laf?

Sep 9th 2010, 2:03:27

Let me clear up the obvious misconception here for the NA haters. We have a 72 hour window. PDM hit us and refuses to accept the retals, and has RoRd several times. They are trying to enforce their 48 hour window on us, not vice versa. Keep hating, though.

We are pacted with LaF, why would we hit them? If there is a grab exchanged between us, there will be FAs involved and it will be worked out.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

BobbyATA Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 2:12:37

honestly if you grab a clan you should respect their retal policy. If you don't respect it then you should either war them or not grab them...

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 2:20:10

PDM has been clear that their policy is 48 hours not 72.

What is had to understand? You have two options:

1. keep trading hits back and forth and bicker about 48hours vs 72 hours.

OR

2. kill them off.

Neither is good in this case... I would say just freakn' retal them within 48 hours. It sholdn't be hard to retal in the 48 hour window.

My 2 cents.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 2:20:53

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
honestly if you grab a clan you should respect their retal policy. If you don't respect it then you should either war them or not grab them...

Our retal policy is now incoming retals are retalled 1:farm. Respect it.

Clearly an extreme case, but shows the flaw in the assumption that either retal policy should have precedence over the other.

The clear choice is to stick to your guns and use your own policy - otherwise there is no reason to have a policy.

Vic... what you are doing is IDENTICAL to what we are doing - enforcing your respective policy. Ours is 48 hours, your is 72 hours. No one is wrong for abiding by their own policy. You ARE trying to enforce your 72 hour policy on us though.

And since I know my word is law, I will clarify that was not a true change in policy.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 2:23:00

Originally posted by Requiem:
PDM has been clear that their policy is 48 hours not 72.

What is had to understand? You have two options:

1. keep trading hits back and forth and bicker about 48hours vs 72 hours.

OR

2. kill them off.

Neither is good in this case... I would say just freakn' retal them within 48 hours. It sholdn't be hard to retal in the 48 hour window.

My 2 cents.

The problem is we are past that. They SHOULD have just done it in 48 hours since that is really not hard to do... however they instead retalled past that and thus effectively grabbed us by our policy. They considered that grab to be a retal, we considered it a random grab. We retalled it as such, they considered it a RoR. So now each alliance considers these escalating hits to be RoRs. Where it ends is unclear. FA talks end up mutual agreement that we disagree on where things stand.

Thomas Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 2:41:52

Originally posted by Detmer:
The problem is we are past that. They SHOULD have just done it in 48 hours since that is really not hard to do...

Well maybe both sides should do a Temp DNH before this escalates into something bigger... Or you can just keep retalling each other until you both end up in war, which I know both are trying to avoid...

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 4:09:11

That won't solve the problem tough Thomas. The problem is accepting other retal policies. NA doesn't want to accept PDM's 48 hour policy and like wise PDM doesn't want to accept the 72 hour policy of NA. It's about who can enforce their policy. If it came down to it NA could smash PDM no problems just due to size, however the real question will be who will give in? Will NA take a stand and fight over it or will they turn the other cheek so that they may net gain, after all their name is netters anonymous :p

BobbyATA Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 4:11:09

your example doesn't show a flaw in anything Detmer...

A 1:farm retal policy would quickly get you into war.

locket Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 4:57:44

An alliance should expect the people they grab to use their stated retal policy. Testing it would surely just be an excuse to war.

locket Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 4:58:21

I saw we have a server war over what the new retal policy is. It is at least collab, laf, and PDM on the 48 hour side :P maybe others?

Thomas Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 5:57:50

We had a similar issue with RAGE this set. They still have a "topfeed" policy, even though grabbing a country with your same NW is much more advantageous, and both countries were in the top 10 with only 2K Land difference.

They retalled twice, claiming it was a topfeed. We told them that wasn't going to fly, retalled that over-retal just one time, instead of two.

We could have retalled twice but Collab vs. RAGE wouldn't have been worthwhile to either side.

Thunder Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 9:09:49

I think what you all are forgetting is the basic principle that Retal Policies are to inform other alliances how you retal when you are grabbed. They were never meant to be stated what retals you will accept. It always was when you were the attacking alliance you fell under the defending alliances retal policy. Somewhere along the lines most likely SOF or maybe even LaF decided thier retal policy was going to dictate how they were to be retaled as well. I hope this can be settled in a peaceful manner.

In regards to 48hr vs 72hr, I like 48hr as it would promote a bit more activity if your members want to get thier retal in. We aren't changing our policy this set, however...so, it'll be interesting to see how this is played out.
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 12:48:01

Originally posted by Thunder:
I think what you all are forgetting is the basic principle that Retal Policies are to inform other alliances how you retal when you are grabbed. They were never meant to be stated what retals you will accept. It always was when you were the attacking alliance you fell under the defending alliances retal policy. Somewhere along the lines most likely SOF or maybe even LaF decided thier retal policy was going to dictate how they were to be retaled as well. I hope this can be settled in a peaceful manner.

In regards to 48hr vs 72hr, I like 48hr as it would promote a bit more activity if your members want to get thier retal in. We aren't changing our policy this set, however...so, it'll be interesting to see how this is played out.

I think that is a big philosophical difference. Our retal policy clearly states that it is how we accept retals too.

And before people say that is "standard" or whatever... I will throw up if I hear that non-sense again. I don't give a fluff about all the retarded things people have done historically.

mrford Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 13:51:54

The problem is a pact

we never signed a pact accepting your new policy, so we have no obligation to abide by it.

Unless ppl stop being so hardheaded I only see this ending one way, and that wouldn't be good for either side
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 14:00:31

Originally posted by mrford:
The problem is a pact

we never signed a pact accepting your new policy, so we have no obligation to abide by it.

Unless ppl stop being so hardheaded I only see this ending one way, and that wouldn't be good for either side

The problem is a difference in retal policies, not the lack of a pact. This problem could be avoided without a pact if our retal policies were congruent. No one has said you have an *obligation* to follow our policy or even your own policy.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 9th 2010, 14:06:30

Originally posted by mrford:
The problem is a pact

Foreign relations aren't your forte, huh?

Just like you have no obligation to "abide by it" also means that PDM has no obligation to"abide by" your policy. Works both ways here.

mrford Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 15:05:08

Like I said, the way u all are talking, u want it to come down to a enforcment battle.

I think we know how that would turn out. Trying to avoid that
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

archaic Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 15:21:55

This should be easy enough to sort out, both sides understand why the other is doing what they are doing and know what is at stake. Niether side is going to budge on their retal policy, so its time to shake hands and make a deal. If it leads to war, its because one side wants war.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Beltshumeltz Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 15:30:02

If PDM shows NA that it's just not worth trying to enforce a 72 hour policy that would be great. I think PDM can afford war more easily than NA since they already went to war with Fist and thus don't have a netgaining race to lose...

A 48 hour policy is much better than 72 hours. I"d even support a 24 hour policy personally, maybe with 48 hours for self-retals allowed.

Sir Balin Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 15:34:19

When LaF announced its 48-hr retal window I thought that was a great idea, and I think Detmer improved upon it by stating that land:land is only applicable to country:country retals. It's a good policy that I think other clans should adopt for a more robust grabbing environment, and it seems very equitable considering the current player base and state of the server.

I agree strongly with what archaic just posted. I can see why people might think PDM is being belligerent, even though we're simply sticking to the policy we put forward this set. PDM is ready to fight for the policy, but we're not going to fight just for the sake of fighting. I think we demonstrated that with our early ceasefire with The Fist.

To clarify, I'm not in PDM leadership, but I think I have a feel for the general tone that the current leadership is trying to set.

Thomas Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 18:06:51

L:L is stupid. The only time it makes sense is when you hit an ally, as you shouldn't gain from that. Otherwise, it just takes away from the game as it doesn't encourage as many countries to landgrab.

If you aren't going to benefit, and get hit for L:L, then what's the point in landgrabbing? It just makes this game more boring than it already is as a text based game.

archaic Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 18:13:57

I agree, L:L should only ever apply to allies, other wise 1:1 escalating should apply. Trying to enforce a L:L policy with unpacted alliances is asking for war. This does not include instances where grabbers are employing means of exploiting 1:1 (internal farming, staying in DR, tiny little jetters, etc.), but those are all precursors to war anyway.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 18:28:33

It is stupid to artificially tell a country than has the power to regain all of its land that it can not. No one has a right to take their land and then tell that individual who has the power to take it back that they do not have the right to do so.

archaic Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 18:36:18

They have the right if they can enforce it.

If I hit you for 1000 acres and you retal me back for 900, we both know whats going to happen if you come after that last 100 acres. This is a big part of why ghost acres were brought back into the game - to encourage more grabbing and create more land. Your 900 acre retal probably created an extra 600 ghost acres, enjoy them - cuz if you hit twice I am going to call it a ROR and farm yer pimply arse.

This was not about L:L anyway, it was about 72 v 48 hour retal windows.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 18:51:28

Originally posted by archaic:
They have the right if they can enforce it.

If I hit you for 1000 acres and you retal me back for 900, we both know whats going to happen if you come after that last 100 acres. This is a big part of why ghost acres were brought back into the game - to encourage more grabbing and create more land. Your 900 acre retal probably created an extra 600 ghost acres, enjoy them - cuz if you hit twice I am going to call it a ROR and farm yer pimply arse.

This was not about L:L anyway, it was about 72 v 48 hour retal windows.

By definition a country that can retal can enforce it. Glad you agree.

Anyways, 1:1 on cross country retals encourages grabbing.

The 1:1 vs L:L aspect of the PDM retal policy *IS* perfect. If anyone doesn't agree with that they simply do not understand it.

archaic Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 21:28:15

I suspect that PDM might be about to find out that their ability to enforce their L:L <<< then NAs ability to enforce their RoR policy. Perhaps I am wrong. I rather hope so actually, I like PDM more than I like NA.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 21:33:19

I don't think our ability to enforce is lesser than NA's. PDM has no fear of death. Of anything. We play only to be ourselves and enjoy ourselves. We can never lose. We will make our point over and over again, whether it is as a pride of lions tearing the flesh off of your dying body or a swarm of mosquitoes buzzing in your ear and randomly landing on your shin for a quick bite. As long as you have to swat us then victory is ours. When you have any aspiration beyond ours you are susceptible to our ways.

Edited By: Detmer on Sep 9th 2010, 21:44:53
See Original Post

archaic Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 21:42:20

lol, right about now I very much understand that sentiment. right about now, ICN is looking at 4 more weeks of buzzing in SoFs ear

good luck PDM, you'll need it

Thomas Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 23:26:22

It is stupid to artificially tell a country than has the power to regain all of its land that it can not. No one has a right to take their land and then tell that individual who has the power to take it back that they do not have the right to do so.

You're right, that country has the right to regain all of its land back, with 1 hit. If they can't get it all back, then they should have played it better. Get similar NW, Mil Strat etc. If I grab PDM for 2500 Acres and your guy retals and only gets 1800 Acres, then he retals again and gets another 1600 Acres, thats 3400 Acres. So I lose out big time. That's really going to encourage landgrabbing on this dying server...

The 1:1 vs L:L aspect of the PDM retal policy *IS* perfect. If anyone doesn't agree with that they simply do not understand it.

How is it perfect? The aggressor can run a Tyr with Max Mil Strat and LG someone with similar NW and gain nothing, because the defender can half-ass it and just hit a 2nd time if needed to take more than the L:L.

If you want your land back, do it in 1 retal. If you can't, then you better increase your defense so nobody tries. It's a very simple concept that this server still doesn't understand. D-E-F-E-N-S-E.

(Detmer, I'm not targeting you, just this policy in general, which I think others are attempting to enforce).

Drow Game profile

Sep 9th 2010, 23:55:36

ok. In response to original issue. We are backing our retal policy. Would anyone else do anything less? So yes this boils down to a policy disagreement.

Thomas l:l retals by our policy ONLY apply to the country who was originally attacked. Anyone else in the clan taking the retal gets just 1 shot. 9 out of 10 cases it will be the one shot as MOST (not all) netting countries run enough offence to LG small countries and thats about it. So normally someone else will be taking that retal. The other part of l:l isthat it has been accepted practice to stop hitting once at least 90% of the land has been regained. So in that example of the 1k acre grab previously mentioned, that 900a retal would be it. There wouldn't be an extra hit.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 0:01:10

Originally posted by Thomas:
If you want your land back, do it in 1 retal. If you can't, then you better increase your defense so nobody tries. It's a very simple concept that this server still doesn't understand. D-E-F-E-N-S-E.

...I think this would be the best time to point out that some of the Evo countries PDM's been grabbing are over 10mil break, so I don't think defense is going to help much if someone really wants your land.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Sep 10th 2010, 1:12:11

Would you look at that, the date stamp on Detmer's post about PDM's policy is the same as the date PDM started grabbing NA. Interesting.

*hat tip - Thunder*
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

Detmer Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 3:44:15

You're right, that country has the right to regain all of its land back, with 1 hit. If they can't get it all back, then they should have played it better. Get similar NW, Mil Strat etc. If I grab PDM for 2500 Acres and your guy retals and only gets 1800 Acres, then he retals again and gets another 1600 Acres, thats 3400 Acres. So I lose out big time. That's really going to encourage landgrabbing on this dying server...

~~~
You can't control who decides to hit you, only how many times you hit them back. It is stupid to hit someone who can hit you back. Politics should not handcuff a superior country.
~~~

How is it perfect? The aggressor can run a Tyr with Max Mil Strat and LG someone with similar NW and gain nothing, because the defender can half-ass it and just hit a 2nd time if needed to take more than the L:L.

(Detmer, I'm not targeting you, just this policy in general, which I think others are attempting to enforce).

~~~
In 100% honesty I have not read what you wrote beyond like five words. As per my original statement you do not understand it.
~~~

Detmer Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 3:45:39

Originally posted by Vic Rattlehead:
Would you look at that, the date stamp on Detmer's post about PDM's policy is the same as the date PDM started grabbing NA. Interesting.

*hat tip - Thunder*

Uh, elaborate please? News?

Detmer Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 3:46:47

~~~
You can't control who decides to hit you, only how many times you hit them back. It is stupid to hit someone who can hit you back. Politics should not handcuff a superior country.
~~~

~~~
In 100% honesty I have not read what you wrote beyond like five words. As per my original statement you do not understand it.
~~~

Ok I read it now. Failed concept. Defense only wins championships in football.. One can not use defense as an answer here when o allies > d allies and PS greater than X

Thunder Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 4:40:35

L:L is stupid. The only time it makes sense is when you hit an ally, as you shouldn't gain from that. Otherwise, it just takes away from the game as it doesn't encourage as many countries to landgrab.

If you aren't going to benefit, and get hit for L:L, then what's the point in landgrabbing? It just makes this game more boring than it already is as a text based game.

That right there is the smartest thing I've seen in regards to any new retal policies in the last 5 years. Its the way it should be Thomas. I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Thunder Game profile

Sep 10th 2010, 4:45:14

Originally posted by archaic:
I agree, L:L should only ever apply to allies, other wise 1:1 escalating should apply. Trying to enforce a L:L policy with unpacted alliances is asking for war. This does not include instances where grabbers are employing means of exploiting 1:1 (internal farming, staying in DR, tiny little jetters, etc.), but those are all precursors to war anyway.

Thats hwo it used to be...I'll tell you al little story. when L:L first came about it was used mainly between allies so that one ally couldn't take advantage of another. Many keep 1:1 with unallied alliances and even untaggeds. The untaggeds wised up...they began making jetters that were able to hit the low net high acre countries of the alliances...that had to be stopped, thats when L:L was expanded to include all unpacteds too...then allies were increased 150% to up to 200% even. Point is...even playing solo was fun back in the day....today...you're just automatically a farm.
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords