Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 18:43:48

So we've been having a few discussions about patron status lately, namely what we can offer to Patrons to enhance their gameplay without unbalancing things.

The last thing we want to have is a system where you basically need to pay to win.

So I have a few questions that I'd like to have folks discuss! If you feel you want to keep your opinions private, that's fine.

I'm posting this on AT first, as I feel the majority of Patrons will come from the Alliance, FFA and Team servers.

So here are a few quick questions:

What type of rewards should Patrons be given?
Examples include: access to a special "Patron" board, new feeds for hosting sites which allow access to ingame events without logging in (market sales, defending news, spyop info, etc), forum badges, an in-game phonbot which calls you when you get hit, etc

How should the service be offered and priced?
Examples include: Subscriptions (with a graduated pricing model) or 'lifetime' membership

What type of "status symbols" would be appropriate to include with this service?
Example include: forum badges, integration for clan hosting sites to know who is and isn't a patron, badges on countries on the past rankings pages, counts of patrons in tags at the set's end

Any other thoughts?

I want to just clarify that we haven't really made any decisions on what we want to do, and this is merely me seeing what our users want to do on this topic.
I should also note that we still plan on keeping any and all money this project makes within the project. If we are able to generate enough revenue, we can begin bringing in professional resources (which I can get at cost :D) to help with various aspects of the game.

Thanks for your input!
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 18:57:04

how much does it cost to get rid of the ads on the forum and ingame?

hmm, are there any ads on the forums?
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 19:03:03

free pr0n!

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 19:03:53

ya, patrons also wouldn't be served ads... that's a good one I forgot!

I'm not so much looking for price point at this point -- that would be determined based on the services offered and all that
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Galandy Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 19:09:00

Do accounts expire now?

Obviously don't plan to go inactive but should it happen being kept active as a paid account would make me happy.

Rather then being a new member every time I disappear.
<[FBI]ZEN> Which is funny...because I am Spanish and Native American mixed....which means I am a Mexican....
<Galandy>move to canada ZEN everyone else does
<[FBI]ZEN> And breed with a Quebecian
<[FBI]ZEN> To make the ultimate snob/migrant worker

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 19:40:02

we haven't deleted/deactivated any accounts.... but if you go away, galandy, I will personally delete your account until you bring me a beer.

:p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Galandy Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 19:46:18

Not to go off topic but if youd like one we will all be having dinner later this week. Feel free to join us in the T DOt aka Tarwanha
<[FBI]ZEN> Which is funny...because I am Spanish and Native American mixed....which means I am a Mexican....
<Galandy>move to canada ZEN everyone else does
<[FBI]ZEN> And breed with a Quebecian
<[FBI]ZEN> To make the ultimate snob/migrant worker

TAN Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 19:49:48

An icon under your name over there

<------

for every $20 you donate, as a symbol of "this person cares about this game more than you do."

also, i wouldn't mind some enhanced features on the forums. maybe make it extra pretty, be able to edit your posts without the original post being viewable.

moreover, patrons should be able to bold/italicize words on the forums, and other little goodies (except editing font size, which is annoying as hell if (when) abused).
FREEEEEDOM!!!

spawn Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 19:59:13

i would give Patrons stuff that makes their lives easier, like auto spyop uploads to hosting sites (i know its a feature for everyone atm), ingame spyop storage for solo servers and stuff like that
/slap iZarcon

All your deleted countries are belong to me!

Jan 10th 2011, 20:02:18

i'm a need a badge that states "I don't care more about this game than TAN does."

NukEvil Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:06:10

Lasers.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 20:10:04

So what I'm seeing here so far is that the social value is more important than actual services?
Is that an accurate summation?
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Jan 10th 2011, 20:13:29

you pretty much stated that you didn't want to hear anything about people being able to pay to win.

spawn Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:13:59

give it some more time Pang, i know i had 1,2 more ideas which i forgot for the moment ;)
/slap iZarcon

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 20:15:46

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
you pretty much stated that you didn't want to hear anything about people being able to pay to win.

well, offering additional services (such as a phonebot, extra data uploaded to hosting sites, etc) are fine

but things like getting an extra 30 turns a day or goods only taking 1/2 the time to get to the market for being a patron will be avoided.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

W Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:15:59

upgraded FFA control panel to make running countries faster, global account settings such as across all servers, 'turn off tutorial' option, no ads of course, some very slight in-game advantages: maybe 1-2 bonuses that are 'patron only' or get to pick from different bonus sets (war farm cash indy specific bonus) that are tweaked slightly for certain strats.
[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)

Jan 10th 2011, 20:17:48

they already have the option to turn off the tutorial, it's under Preferences. maybe you mean an option to keep it turned off?

W Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:22:20

yep just some master setting so that any country you create automatically starts with the tutorial turned off.
[9:22pm] xHx: on a fluff ton of tech
[9:22pm] xHx was kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)
[9:22pm] Within[SnG]: what?? fluff this
[9:22pm] You were kicked from the chat room by Hellcat. (Badwords Detected!)

Kingme Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:24:15

I would love my phone to light up like a Christmas tree when i'm hit in any server that I set up mobile alerts :)

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 20:25:03

so global options for things like..
- Which site your status uploads to by default
- Tutorial state
- Ad state (ie always off unless you want them on for some reason)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

oats Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:26:04

The last thing the forums need are decorations. Keep it simple and people will post. Don't let the complexity of posting exceed the seriousness of the post content. This is a game forum, not a scholarly or professional forum.

Otherwise I have no real suggestions for patron status benefits.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 20:30:39

Originally posted by oats:
The last thing the forums need are decorations. Keep it simple and people will post. Don't let the complexity of posting exceed the seriousness of the post content. This is a game forum, not a scholarly or professional forum.

Otherwise I have no real suggestions for patron status benefits.

Would you say that a badge on the user-info section of posts (created by EE, not user-defined avatars) to denote a poster be acceptable based on your previous post, oats?
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Jan 10th 2011, 20:35:23

Originally posted by Pang:

well, offering additional services (such as a phonebot, extra data uploaded to hosting sites, etc) are fine

but things like getting an extra 30 turns a day or goods only taking 1/2 the time to get to the market for being a patron will be avoided.

yes, but, i really couldn't care less whether somebody kills my country in the middle of the night because was sleeping, or i missed an oil buyout because i was sleeping, i pretty much consider it a turn based game that is meant to be played when it's convenient to me. not me being a slave to some irc bot telling me what needs to be done and when.

Junky Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:41:21

we should get the name "Pay Pal" under Patron :-P
I Maybe Crazy... But atleast I'm crazy.

Klown Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:50:09

I think a fair bonus would be an extra one or two of the bonus points per day

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:52:57

I think social status/ ease of access to game admins via a patrons forum and/or a private message acct available only to patrons to send suggestions etc. would be enough. Also a patrons forum needs to happen just b/c of all the old jokes from the old game=)

NukEvil Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 20:55:39

The Patrons forum already exists. Has existed pretty much since the creation of these boards. And it has like 13 threads on it.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:01:38

Ya but isn't that Patrons for people who have outside websites and forum developers/admins? I think its called patron board out of laziness to come up with a more appropriate name for it, huh forum developer:P

Kingme Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:01:50

Originally posted by NukEvil:
The Patrons forum already exists. Has existed pretty much since the creation of these boards. And it has like 13 threads on it.

Wait... What!? Why don't I see it?

spawn Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:03:58

yeah, only 13 because you cut my access to it *evil look*
/slap iZarcon

BobbyATA Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:04:48

Originally posted by Pang:

yes, but, i really couldn't care less whether somebody kills my country in the middle of the night because was sleeping, or i missed an oil buyout because i was sleeping, i pretty much consider it a turn based game that is meant to be played when it's convenient to me. not me being a slave to some irc bot telling me what needs to be done and when.

^^ n00b talk

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2011, 21:45:06

For us long time vets, the social aspect is probably key for patron status.

However, for the new people we are planning on getting into this game and who haven't played every style of possible strategy to this game. Ingame perks would definitely be appealing to them.

Also, if you are going to do a lifetime patron status make it a little higher in money. I want to know that when we pay we are giving you the full value of what we would normally give if we were clicking ads daily (or paying like a yearly fee). At the same time I don't want a renewal fee. So one lump sum would be ideal for me.

Helmet Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:48:40

I'm just going to toss some ideas out there. Some might be silly, but I'm too lazy to ponder them for long.

Automatic Country Creation - Would be really cool for express and ffa. When the set ends or you get killed it automatically starts a new country. You could pick your name beforehand, at your convenience or set it to just use the same name. Or it could even start the country and allow you to name or rename it before you begin play?

Mobile Alerts when you hit 12 or 18hrs - User preference.

Mobile Alerts when you're attacked, good are sold, etc.

Mobile Alerts managed by tag controller. (i.e. we're under attack)

Access to IRC News Server

More detailed market information

I liked someone else's idea of having ops you get stored in the game where you can access them.

Maybe you can see more of the scores list if you're patron?

Junky Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:51:38

More Spy operations, insteada 50, have it at 75 or 100, and maybe the ability to send FA twice.

Pain Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 21:54:58

the best suggestion yet IMO is the stored ops for solo servers.

also add an account preference so you can have it always (set after set) upload to whatever clan site you choose instead of having to choose it everytime you make a new country. ive had to re op numerous times because i forget to go into pref. and change it.
Your mother is a nice woman

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 10th 2011, 22:33:16

I think modifiable alerts would be something people would want. That way they can set an alert if they're hit, or if they sell, or if there is a buy out etc. Also, perhaps Patrons could have more SOs out at a time, say 5 of each type. One other additional bonus for Patrons could be on the market screen to say when the goods will return, like they are on Express, but for all servers. That way people can know when they should recall (and they'd be able to do it anyways if they kept track of when they put their goods on market, so it's mostly convenience).

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 10th 2011, 22:47:14

good ideas on this thread! thanks everyone... keep them coming! :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 23:22:25

gold toilet seat

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 10th 2011, 23:22:39

Free tiesto Cd's

Junky Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 0:21:35

send everyone who's a patron a pig head on a stick.. and have the pour sods that don't have Patron status come to our houses to play the fiddle.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 11th 2011, 0:29:26

ok, can someone catalog the real suggestions into some kind of actionable list? :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

bore Game profile

Patron

Jan 11th 2011, 0:38:12

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
Ya but isn't that Patrons for people who have outside websites and forum developers/admins? I think its called patron board out of laziness to come up with a more appropriate name for it, huh forum developer:P

nope, we have a board for 3rd party sites. the patron board is just empty due to lack of patrons. (i dunno why i'm a patron, i think i had access to the api board before i got that tag)

anyways,

+1 for nukevils lasers.

also +1 for that pay to win feature dibs mentioned.

Junky Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 0:40:25

get an extra % to build Missiles :-D finally my dream of 2 nukes per household will come true.

Dragonlance Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 0:43:11

ok... fine.. i also think the stored ops for solo servers is a brilliant idea:p

However i really don't want people to be disadvantaged by not having patron status.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 11th 2011, 0:44:23

Originally posted by Junky:
get an extra % to build Missiles :-D finally my dream of 2 nukes per household will come true.

That's what I call a "nuclear" family!

I'll be here all week, folks. Tip your waitresses.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Junky Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 1:54:00

or as Bush states.... NewClear Family

patrons get to enjoy having 140 turns with 200 stored?

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jan 11th 2011, 3:51:05

LIMITED SERVER!!!!

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Junky Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 5:30:10

Nudy magazine day!!

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 6:57:19

I want the same benefits that the other players get, that do all the clicky stuff (I am to lazy to do)

oh and turtle Pron!
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

AxAlar Game profile

Jan 11th 2011, 7:13:23

I only read half the thread, but I'm definitely not for the "extra hosting site services" or the phonebot.

This is mainly because there are certain types of players who will pay for patron, those are the ones who are already incredibly active. It also hinders an alliances element of surprise and could even make people like suiciders harder to kill. While I wouldn't discourage things like market news being fed into the hosting site, I can't see a whole ton of benefit to it. Whereas defending results / phone bot could make stonewalling a lot stronger. Also, with a phone bot, you'll likely create more grief than happiness -- what if the phone bots texts are delayed, what if they dont reach the carrier? Then you have people demanding money back for a service they're not happy with (not to mention depending on how you set it up, it may not be cost efficient).

Most people pay for active just because they care about the game, that's why I did it. My adblockers already block the ads, tutorials don't bug me, and I'm happy with a simple "Patron" to show that I've given back to the game that given so much to me.

I'd say stick to the "Patron" label, a "Patron" board, and I'm undecided on the ads thing, as they don't bug me :P
-AxA
Mercenary for Hire
AIM: I The Brandon
MSN: