Verified:

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 13th 2011, 18:51:25

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/CRTC+lowers+volume+running+louder+than+shows/5395500/story.html

OTTAWA — Broadcasters will no longer be allowed to run "ear-splitting" ads that are louder than shows, Canada's broadcasting regulator announced Tuesday.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) said draft regulations will be published by year's end, and Canadian broadcasters will have until next September to comply to the new rules.

"Over the years, we have seen a steady increase in consumer complaints about loud ads," commission chairman Konrad von Finckenstein said.

"Broadcasters have allowed ear-splitting ads to disturb viewers and have left us little choice but to set out clear rules that will put an end to excessively loud ads. The technology exists, let's use it."

The announcement comes after the commission committed in February to deal with the concerns Canadians have with loud TV commercials. At the time, the commission launched public consultations to seek input from TV viewers about how to resolve the irksome issue, including the possibility of regulatory changes.

During its public proceeding, the CRTC received over 7,000 comments. Canadians were "overwhelmingly" of the view that commercial advertisements were too loud and urged the CRTC to take action, the commission said.

The Advanced Television Systems Committee, the internationally recognized technical standards body for digital television, set a standard in 2009 for measuring and controlling television signals in order to minimize fluctuations in loudness between programming and commercials.

The CRTC's proposed regulations will be based on this standard.

"This decision means that viewers will no longer have to reach for their remotes to manually control the volume when regular programming cuts to commercial advertisements. Broadcasters will have to ensure that both programs and ads are transmitted at the same volume.

In 2010, the CRTC received 304 complaints about loud commercials — about the same number of complaints received in the two previous years (314).

Prior to the commission consultations, Nina Grewal, a Conservative MP for Fleetwood-Port Kells, introduced a private member's, requiring broadcasters to make sure the volume of commercials is consistent with the programs they accompany. The bill did not move forward, and died when the federal election was called earlier this year.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 13th 2011, 18:57:46

FINALLY!!!!

I absolutely hate that.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 19:00:36

Oh, how I hope the US follows suit!

I even have automatic leveling on my TV, and they STILL blast me off my couch every time they come on.

+1 for America Jr.

braden Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 19:10:44

i thought i first read about this from some congresswoman in california? i don't know, my memory is a joke, i could be way wrong on that?

but i hate loud commercials, but i watch few commercials (G GORDON LIDDY HERE FOR ROSLAND CAPITAL)

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Sep 13th 2011, 19:18:36

God Bless the Canuckians!

It's about time SOMEONE did something about this outrageous activity. I really do wish to go and retrieve my beer from the fridge without having the volume of the ad following me into the kitchen. I got up to go get the beer to avoid watching the ad, there is no reason that they should have the ability to shout it at me.

Damn the commercials, anyway. I usually don't want to buy their crap anyway, and the less I want to buy it, the louder the damned things are.

I can't wait for the US to do this.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!

BobbyATA Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 19:47:12

This is probably a dumb question, but what is the incentive for the TV networks to do this in the first place?

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 19:51:09

I'm guessing it's not so much incentive for TV networks as it is what the market demands. If Company A wants to put an obnoxiously loud ad on TV, and Network A says "screw you, that's not good for our viewers", Company A is going to start talking to Network B, C, etc.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 13th 2011, 19:51:24

Originally posted by BobbyATA:
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the incentive for the TV networks to do this in the first place?

customer satisfaction :p

and the new regulations
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Sep 13th 2011, 19:52:58

the law tells them they have to:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 13th 2011, 19:54:30

About damned time too then eh?
Finally did the signature thing.

Patience Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 20:02:43

A-freakin'-MEN. That's my pet peeve, right there - stupid commercials at twice the volume of the program you're watching. And now I won't have to put up with it anymore!
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Marshal Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 20:11:10

loud ads are problem at here too (around the world most likely), movies/shows sounds are low so viewer turns volume up and when commercial break starts tv's speakers nearly jump off from tv.

maybe EU makes no more loud ads as a directive after yankeeland makes law about it.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

NOW3P Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 20:12:38

And then the US will follow suit 20 years later.... :-(

Lobo Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 21:51:58

please let the USA follow suit! maybe 15 yrs later? :P
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone. ~Albert Camus

Original SANCT...

Marco Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 22:47:22

And here I thought it was my mothers pos tv.

mine all have auto lvling, its not as bad but noticeable, my mothers tv screams during commercials.

alexbajd Game profile

Sep 13th 2011, 23:27:54

The worst is when you're watching with headphones on and one of these loud-ass commercials blasts holes in your eardrums.

Go Canada.
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.

MilitantOrgy Game profile

Sep 14th 2011, 0:47:26

i thought that one was passed in the US too, just hasn't taken into effect yet.

Jiman Game profile

Sep 14th 2011, 0:58:32

THank freaking gawd. I have complained about this so many times and actually sent emails about this.

SOOOOOO Happy!