Verified:

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 9th 2011, 15:26:45

thinking of going there for 3-4 days in December. Anyone with personal experience/from near there that would like to comment on it?

No web links please, I've found plenty:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 15:38:47

bourbon street is fun

wear shoes you won't mind getting dirty

it's fun to bring a bunch of beads

/end personal experience suggestions

alexbajd Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 16:13:56

I picked up a balcony flat in the French Quarter after Katrina and have never regretted it. NOLA is famous for fine dining, great music, wild parties, and some outstandingly decadent behavior. :)

It all depends on what interests you, but it's definitely a fun town. What did you have in mind? I have suggestions for every taste and budget.
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.

Schilling Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 16:16:37

I live not to far from NOLA. I've only gone there once on any kind of sight seeing, but it is a cool town.

However, most important in your case is you want to know the places you SHOULDN'T go. Now, I don't know all of them myself, but if you find yourself on a street that isn't lined with "eat here" and or "drinks only $3" signs you need to turn around. Most commonly people not from around here find themselves on the "Ward" streets and wind up getting mugged, or in some cases killed. Nothing to worry about as long as you keep good tabs on where you're headed and stay where all the flashy things are. Use a cab if you need to go between neighborhoods as sometimes there can be bad spots between sights.

Other than that, anything you found on the web links will be neat to see. I wouldn't book anything in advance because there's free stuff going on all the time. 3-4 days isn't much time to see everything, but NOLA is one of those places that never sleeps, so you can pretty much rock on day and night. Definitely worth the trip. If I wasn't so busy so often I'd spend more time there.

Oh, and by the way, it can rain a lot in December, so be prepared for that.

Cheers.

trumper Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 16:27:42

I can't offer you the experience of someone who lives there, but I worked out of NOLA for about 3-4 months following Katrina. It was in pretty bad shape then (French Quarter was an exception largely because they didn't open one floodgate, but that's another story) and I had been twice before that time. Maybe a local can point you in the direction of the best gumbo place, but make sure to get some.

The lower 9th ward is what a lot of folks are referencing above. I don't know what it's like now, but it was a real craphole before (interestingly it's bounded by some formerly nice areas such as Chalmette and Arabi). I think it's technically boudned by the Industrial Canal, but honestly you probably shouldn't go that far.

A big tourist thing is the biegnets (sp?) at Cafe Du Monde in Washington Square. It's a good breakfast outing and close to French Quarter.

One other recommendation--you will undoubtedly be wasted along Bourbon or neighboring streets. WATCH OUT for pickpockets. It could be a hot woman planting a big kiss or a guy bumping into you. Either way, they will try to steal stuff and you won't even notice. The muggings is far less common here, but it's not unknown to happen in the side streets.

It's a great city, enjoy it!

Trife Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 17:08:46

Originally posted by trumper:
One other recommendation--you will undoubtedly be wasted along Bourbon or neighboring streets. WATCH OUT for pickpockets.

Yep, on bourbon street we moved our wallets to our front pockets

hanlong Game profile

Nov 9th 2011, 17:17:07

NAWLINS
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Ruthie

Nov 9th 2011, 17:18:53

dont go during hurricane season ;)
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 9th 2011, 17:53:38

Thanks for the comments;

Mostly when I travel it's to see the unique character about a place and mostly historical stuff/culture etc. Also if there is good food to be had I'll try to seek it out. (I did this quite successfully in Detroit, yes you heard me:P) not that I would refrain from drinking mind you.

I'm mostly the self-explore type. Not a huge fan of package vacations or resorts (for trips like this).

I've only been pickpocketed once, and that was in my former home town sadly:(

Regarding pickpocketing/crime
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

alexbajd Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 1:54:12

All of the following is within easy walking (or short cab) distance from the French Quarter, excepting the swamp and plantation tours.

FOOD:
Have a debris po' boy at Mother's ($), a dozen char-grilled oysters (and a dozen raw!) and a bucket of crawdads at Acme ($$), chicken file gumbo at the Gumbo Shop ($$$), Oysters Irene and rack of lamb at Irene's ($$$$), and "the pig and the peach" and a nice filet at Commander's Palace ($$$$$).

DRINK:
Obviously it's everywhere. In NOLA it's legal to take your unfinished drink with you and to imbibe on the street! Have a hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Brien's (everyone does this -- once), and slide into Lafitte's on Bourbon (supposedly the oldest bar in N. America).

MUSIC:
Frenchman's Street is definitely the place to be. Snug Harbor and The Spotted Cat are both famous for their jazz. Arrive early-ish in the evening as these places fill up.

SEXY TIME:
Rick's and Penthouse (if you like pretty naked women), or Oz and Rawhide (if your taste runs the other way).

UNIQUELY NOLA:
For a quick background to the city a horse-drawn carriage ride through the Quarter and the cemeteries is fun during the day, and the Haunted History Tour is fun at night. Street entertainers are everywhere in the Quarter and on the Riverwalk across from Jackson Square (and they're free). Tour a plantation (Oak Alley is probably the best, but takes 1/2 a day), take an airboat through the swamp (wicked fun!), ride the streetcar from the Quarter to Tulane for a buck, and see the D-Day Museum (if WW II interests you in the least -- this one is pretty amazing).

There really is something for everyone.

And, as others have mentioned, don't be a dork regarding safety. If you flash a bunch of money and then walk through a dark alley because you think you've found a "shortcut" back to your hotel, well ... don't say we didn't warn you.

Hope you have a blast!

Flamey Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 2:28:52

You're about 200 years too late! Bloody unreliable colonial militiamen.

archaic Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 3:47:31

The garden district is WAY better then the french Quarter. First night in town, go to the Bulldog, if that does not hook you nothing will.

Its not as dangerous as everyone is trying to convince you, just pay attention to whats going on around you and if you drink to much - get a cab.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Bigwiggle Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 6:11:59

Man I went to nola last december for 3-4 days .. hit the absinthe bars. And don't go to any strip clubs, you'll be blinded by the 5 hand grenades you just did and spend a lot of money
Wiggity

Pandora's Last Vikings | THE OMEGA

msn -

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Nov 10th 2011, 15:44:26

@archaic: I'm not overly worried regarding crime. I've been to places which are allegedly more dangerous (Detroit/Colombia/Certain parts of NYC and Chicago:P) as well as places with notoriously high pickpocket rates (Rome/Venice). Well I take that back. Most of Detroit is safe because there is no-one/nothing there:P

lol@Flamey.

@alexbajd.. copy/pasting?:P
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

TheORKINMan Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 15:51:25

martian I've been there many times. The French Quarter is fun for historical stuff in the daytime. There are plenty of tours around and there's a lot of local color in the streets (street performers, artists and fluff). At night though STAY ON BOURBON STREET. Do not wander down any of the side streets unless you want to end up in a body bag.
Smarter than your average bear.

alexbajd Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 21:06:46

Originally posted by martian:

Martian:

You are more than welcome to copy/paste my post, and to take it with you on your trip. Cheers!

trumper Game profile

Nov 10th 2011, 21:15:48

Originally posted by martian:
@archaic: I'm not overly worried regarding crime. I've been to places which are allegedly more dangerous (Detroit/Colombia/Certain parts of NYC and Chicago:P) as well as places with notoriously high pickpocket rates (Rome/Venice). Well I take that back. Most of Detroit is safe because there is no-one/nothing there:P

lol@Flamey.

It's not so much safety (same concern as nearly every big city--aka avoid bad parts) I think as it is the fact that everyone is wasted and distracted. I mean are you checking your pockets in a crowd as you watch a hot chick flashing the crowd? Somehow, I doubt it. Trife's advice works well--move the wallet to where it's easiest to see/feel/notice, aka front pocket and you will be fine. Oh the thought of gumbo is making me want to be in Nola.