Verified:

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 8:59:20

Viceroy's Alliance Grades (In Netgaining Ability)
-----------------------------------------------------------

=====DISCLAIMER=====

All alliance rankings are inherently biased. However, I believe an alliance ranking is necessary to reward good gamesmanship and hopefully spur interest in both these forums and the game at large. In an effort to minimize the inherent bias, I am making this alliance ranking as transparent as possible by basing it solely on tangible and well documented facts.

=====GRADING=====

Grade points are awarded based on each alliance's finish in a particular category. The Top 25 alliances in each category are awarded points inversely proportional to their finish, meaning a 1st place finish nets 25 grade points, while a 25th place finish garners only 1 point. Further, bonus points are awarded for a Top 5 finish, also inversely proportional to the final rank.

Example: An alliance finishing 1st would earn a total of 30 points (25 points for the rank + 5 bonus points), 5th earns 22 (21+1), and 6th earns 20 (20 from the rank with no bonus points awarded).

In the event of a tie in a category, both alliances recieve the points of the higher placed finish. One man alliances are included for the purposes of scoring, but are treated as null value place holders and are otherwise excluded from these rankings.

=====CATEGORIES=====

These grades are broken down into two catagories, "Pure Netgaining" and "Overall Netgaining." The Pure rankings are a compilation of the Total Networth and Average Networth finishes during the scrutinized period of time. The Overall rankings are a compilation of Total and Average Networths and Membership. For this particular installment, the scrustinized period of time is Reset 1 through Reset 4 of the Earth Empires alliance server. In both categories, only the top 20 will be displayed currently due to the small number of active alliance.

=====BIAS=====

The nature of this ranking is automatically biased against alliances who fight wars. Further, it is biased in favor of consistency. Perfection in one reset does not guarantee surpassing in the rankings Greatness in every reset.

In keeping with the tradition of making the bias as transparent as possible, I believe it is incumbent upon me to mention that I am a Diplomat for the Monsters. I am not posting this in an official capacity, nor do the Monsters endorse this ranking.

=====COMPLAINTS=====

If you don't like these rankings, then go make your own. I only offer this as one filter through which to view alliances. However I am open to suggestions for improvement, and please PLEASE correct when I inevitably fluff something up. If you would like to talk about anything offline, my ICQ is 31324356.

=====DEVIATIONS=====

Rage and Elysium caused a little bit of a headache. An equal footing merger for only one reset before splitting into seperate alliances again? How do I deal with that? What I decided to do was to divide their points into equal parts between them for the one reset they were together. That way it doesn't unduly penalize either Rage or Elysium, but it also doesn't artifically inflate their scores when compared to their peers. Its not perfect, but I think this was the correct way to address this issue.

=====RANKINGS=====

PURE
----

1) 205 --- Omega
2) 203 --- LaFamiglia
3) 188 --- Monsters
4) 170 --- Evolution
5) 164 --- La Cosa Nostra
6) 151 --- EEvil Empire
7) 150 --- Netters Anonymous
8) 142 --- Collaboration
9T) 137 --- Neofederation
9T) 137 --- The Infernal Elite
11) 120 --- Survival of the Fittest
12) 116 --- Infernal Council of Nations
13) 110 --- Paradigm
14) 94 --- Sons of Liberty
15) 91.5 - Rage
16) 83 --- Death Knights
17) 80 --- The Fist of Odin
18) 76.5 - Elysium
19) 54 --- IMaginary Numbers
20) 37 --- Rogue

OVERALL
-------

1) 311 - LaFamiglia
2) 282 - Omega
3) 258 - Netters Anonymous
4) 246 - Monsters
5) 241 - La Cosa Nostra
6) 240 - Collaboration
7) 226 - Evolution
8) 210 - EEvil Empire
9) 208 - The Infernal Elite
10) 202 - Sons of Liberty
11) 188 - Infernal Council of Nations
12) 187 - Neofederation
13) 185 - Survival of the Fittest
14) 161 - Paradigm
15) 152 - Rage
16T) 114 - Elysium
16T) 114 - Death Knights
18) 107 - The Fist of Odin
19) 102 - Imaginary Numbers
20) 51 - Rogue
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 8:59:38

=====QUICK ANALYSIS=====

I was very surprised - so much so that I immediately reran all the numbers - that LaF didn't overtake Omega in the pure rankings, especially after Locket had the single most dominating performance I had ever seen from a 24th ranked country. Seriously though, if you do not understand how this occured, reread the bias section above. LaF's down reset (Reset One) was far more devastatingly poor than any of Omega's resets, including this most recent one. This is one of several trends that caused me to post about the bias towards consistency.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

locket Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:00:37

Whats the diff. between pure and overall

locket Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:01:31

and you are awesome. I see no bias in your last comment there :P

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:02:46

Short answer is that Pure is just Total and Average Net Worth. Overall incorporates membership also.

I just call it as I see it :-D

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:06:32

Also, I must address a very important omission.

Death Before Disco finished 27th in both the Pure and Overall Rankings.

locket Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:11:05

eh you must not weight tnw very high in comparison to anw i suppose eh? With laf's member advantage that would lean heavily in their favor

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:13:32

I give them equal footing. Now if you were to make the argument that the point differential between a 1st ranking and a 2nd ranking in any category isn't large enough, you would make a sound argument. Its something I've considered changing, but decided against. At least for now...

Edited By: Viceroy on Aug 11th 2010, 9:15:38
See Original Post

locket Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:17:02

hmm alrighty i getcha. Still on top overall! :P Omega had a couple really good showings so this can be understood depending on how much weight you give each rank. I would assume its hard to accuse you of bias anyways. Other than how is imag even at 102 points? They strive to be worse than that! ;)

diez Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 9:35:00

looks fair to me, looking at the past few sets.

Sifos Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 10:05:44

Imag is ranked way too high!
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

Havoc Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 12:57:01

Not bad. Nice to see Omega hold onto the Pure #1 spot even after a set of war. :)
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

Forgotten1

Aug 11th 2010, 15:42:34

SOL is ranked too high!?!?

LCN is 11th?!?!

Maybe give more weight in points for higher rankings

What about top 10 and top 100 finishes. hold some weight as to Netgaining ???
Forgotten
ICQ 43083642
MSN

mrford Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 15:43:15

Sol made the top 10?

Unacceptable
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Devestation Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 15:55:28

It's clearly a sad state of affairs in this game when we sit back and realise that LCN is in fact now ranked 5th.

Trife Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 16:04:44

No need to worry folks. LCN always has been, is, and will be ranked 11th, no matter what anyone says.

Trife
LCN's HOPA

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 11th 2010, 16:07:08

i could have sworn that LaF was 3 points behind Omega last set, and we netted extremely well while Omega fought

these numbers look exactly the same as the last time they were posted (if I remember correctly) even though another set has passed...
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Forgotten1

Aug 11th 2010, 16:09:18

Trife, who let you out of my cage??

Forgotten
ICQ 43083642
MSN

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 11th 2010, 16:09:46

hmm no i was apparently mistaken, my bad

also, it is 100% SS's fault that we are not first in pure netting

if he hadn't fluffed so much, we'd have easily won ANW with no contest :p
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Aug 11th 2010, 17:27:10

my arguments against your scoring system still stand. And you are only ranking netting ability :P

*wanders off*
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Aug 11th 2010, 17:30:55

"In an effort to minimize the inherent bias, I am making this alliance ranking as transparent as possible by basing it solely on tangible and well documented facts."

Actually that doesn't minimize inherent bias. Tangible and well documented facts don't eliminate bias. How you chose to use them does. Statistics says that your scoring system is a bit odd.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimator_bias

But I"m just posting flaws in your system to randomly harass u:P

you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

A-Rod Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 18:13:42

trife saved my mind from being blown. ty trife!

Viceroy Game profile

Aug 11th 2010, 21:38:08

Tangible and well documented facts don't eliminate bias, but they do make them obvious. If you are aware of the bias, you can take steps on your own to minimize it in your own objective opinion of these rankings. Elimination was not my goal because it would be impossible to accomplish.

Originally posted by Forgotten:
What about top 10 and top 100 finishes. hold some weight as to Netgaining ???

Sure it does, but its not deserving the weight you seem to want it to have. I believe an alliance is only as strong as its weakest link. I'm against therefore against your suggestion for the same reason most people disagree with dropping countries from a tag to improve ANW or FA'ing a country into the top 10.

Forgotten1

Aug 12th 2010, 1:50:49

Then have that ranked

Worst 10 member combined networth rankings. And give those points as well.

Moooooooooooooooooooo

Top 10 finishes definitely should have an impact still IMO
Forgotten
ICQ 43083642
MSN

Dragonlance Game profile

Aug 12th 2010, 1:54:07

top 10 should only have an impact if you turn these into full blown netting rankings instead of trying to have some pandering to general rankings with the total membership thing.

A-Rod Game profile

Aug 12th 2010, 5:04:03

yeah t10 should get consideration, but not a lot of weight. i mean theoretically sol could get some t10ers and jump up the list! while the rest of them sit in the 500s g;)

dagga Game profile

Aug 12th 2010, 5:05:44

These couldn't get any more pointless than if you had a "Viceroy's Alliance Grades by Alphabetical Order"
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22