Verified:

amy winehouse

Oct 2nd 2016, 20:55:32

at the time, fighting the enemy of the time, which of the three would you prefer as a rifle in combat?

springfield1903 in its time vs its enemies?
perhaps a fluff you nazi era garand vs nazis?
or, as my choice is, the gorgeous m14. my government law doesn't allow it, but if i could, i would marry that fluffer. she is purr-te.

also not so much related but just in general, do you prefer bolt action? having never held any type of gun in my life, i'd have to choose bolt action myself, but.. again.. never touched one so..

mrford Game profile

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:04:08

Well the guns arnt really even in the same class.

The 1903 was a good gun but the Enfield was probably the best gun of the era. Or the Mauser.

The M1 garand is probably the most important rifle ever.

The M14 was fully auto 7.62, and based on the garand

I own a SOCOM 16, a civilian carbine version of the M14.

Always wanted a Garand, but a good condition one isn't cheap.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

mrford Game profile

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:04:54

Bolt action is more accurate, and my hunting long guns are all such, but semi-auto is a lot more fun at the range.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:10:17

Originally posted by mrford:
...but semi-auto is a lot more fun at the range.

Perhaps... But there's something to be said about the feeling you get pipping the bullseye with your 30-06 bolt-action at 500 yards.

mrford Game profile

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:12:39

True. Or dropping a deer with your 7mag at 600.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:13:16

ig'nant canuckian aside, how or why would a bolt action be more accurate than a semi?
because the semi fires faster and with more recoil, thus less accurate, but the action of actually pulling and loading or whatever the term is for the bolt action slows the process down and you aim better?

because.. they have semi auto .50cal sniper rifles don't they? and that recoil must dislocate shoulders like archaic dislocates co-ed pelvic bones

mrford Game profile

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:45:49

The only part that moves when you fire a bolt action is the firing pin.

In a semi auto, depending on the design, a lot moves. It uses the momentum from the previous round to eject it and chamber a new one. That motion decreases the tightness of the fitment and the accuracy of the weapon.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Akula Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 2nd 2016, 21:51:39

shake, rattle and roll
=============================
"Astra inclinant, sed non obligant"

SOL http://sol.ghqnet.com/
=============================

Primeval Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Oct 2nd 2016, 22:39:06

True. Or dropping a deer with your 7mag at 600.

Remington makes a good one for a bargain price with a 9.25 inch twist. With core-lokt load, it' a quick bullet.

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 0:12:20

My good friends old man bought acres up in northern ontario- bear country. Hes doing his gun license and once out of eye sight or ear shot, a [sober] bradens gonna burn some powda, son

archaic Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:07:09

The Garand was a great rifle, unfortunately during the 99% of the time when you weren't actually shooting at people with it, you still had to carry the big fluffer around. Plus, 30-06 is really overkill for battle, but I guess no more so than the 8mm Mauser, the 7.62X54, or whatever POS the Japanese used in the Ariska.

The Swedes never fired a shot, but the they had the best rifle in the Great War.

The Mauser >> The Springfield.

The M-14 was an answer looking for a question - it was a chopped down Garand with a box magazine firing a chopped down 30-06. When you compare it to the FAL and the AK its pretty obvious why it was the US shortest lived service rifle. Its a good rifle, but it just happened about a decade too late.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:11:43

M-14 is still in use by Special Forces. It is incredibly accurate. With a polymer stock it is a great weapons system.

But I get your point.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:25:49

if i had to know a rifle in the biblical sense, i'd put my penis in the m14.

i can't speak to usefulness in battle, but between my legs i'd have trouble knowing which is for fighting and which is for fun..

she's a looker, alright.
https://en.wikipedia.org/.../media/File:M14_afmil.jpg

if you ask me, it's a piece of art. gorgeous.

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:29:34

"The only part that moves when you fire a bolt action is the firing pin.

In a semi auto, depending on the design, a lot moves."

a lot is what? the firing pin creates resonance which creates kickback through vibration through the whole rifle.. or, like.. ?

again, pardon the ignorance, i know what looks good but very little as to how any of it works.. (a lot like music, actually)

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:34:34

The round that is fired creates the energy to eject and chamber a new round.

Some weapons use the gas created from the explosion and harness it via a gas tube and piston setup, others use a spring to harness the energy from the recoil. Either way the round that was fired creates the energy to eject itself and cyclee the next one up.

Obviously a bolt action weapon has none of these parts, just a manually operated bolt. Nothing moves unless you tell it to.

Edited By: mrford on Oct 3rd 2016, 1:36:35
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:43:26

for a bolt action, any of the gasses created from the first round fired- instead of being used to propel the next round- it just dissipates into the air never to be thought of again?

so now it might be "explain physics to me" which i doubt anybody can do, but how would using the created gasses to chamber the next round lessen the accuracy of the shot?

i'm happy to read anything ya;'ll might want to link to as opposed to playing grade eleven science teacher with me..

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:46:17

and isn't it fun when we speak amiably to one another?
i know it makes you feel good inside..

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:49:00

The moving parts degrade accuracy. Not as tight a fit. Not as efficient with the usage of the gas.

Additionally, a bolt action rifle uses all the gasses to propelled the round. Some semi autos use some of the gas to operate the mechanism. Less gas is less power, less speed, less accuracy.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:52:14

You also have to think slow motion with the semi autos. The mechanism starts doing its thing when the round is still in the barrel after being fired. Movement at this point is bad for hitting what you want to hit. Bolt actions don't have this problem.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 1:55:48

does it correlate to where bolt action is a stronger.. or i guess has a stronger impact, at least, than a semi auto, as it uses all of its gases to propel the slug forward?

may we explain why in nam after like seventy one or whenever it came into play, why the m16 looked so nice but worked so poorly? or was that only poor in comparison to the previous m14 and the nva/vc ak?

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:00:03

When the M16 first came out it had a reputation that it didn't need to be cleaned. This was very wrong. Once this was figured out the military started issuing Clea ING kits and the problem was solved.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:02:27

is not cleaning your rifle akin to catching the clap in saigon?

he's had the clap so many times you might as well call it the applause-- greatest joke ever.

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:03:47

also may i ask WHY or HOW it got that reputation?

surely, i'm canadian and never held a gun rifle weapon stronger than a bricksaw (very few are stronger unless you operate a wrecking ball), but not having to be cleaned? i call balderdash..

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:06:05

also i understand perfectly well how they might differ, but in ga no fla.. wherever ya'll might hunt, is a crossbow under the same license as a gun?

this is a conversation i need to have with ontarian law enforcement, but generally speaking, is bow and rifle hunting under the same.. provision?

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:11:27

The M16 was one of the first polymer guns. It probably had something todo with the no maintenence reputation. I'm not well versed in the origins of the reputation.

Crossbows use to be just for people with disabilities. Now they are unregulated where I hunt. Same rules as a compound bow.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:20:02

"Crossbows use to be just for people with disabilities"

may i ask, how do you mean.. like, wheelchair disability, crossbow.. or like stupid canadian try'n a hunt disability?

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 2:20:43

Like, cant draw or hold a draw on a compound bow.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 3:03:51

Is there like a weight equivalancy for bows or.. ?

mrford Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 3:06:40

Not sure what you mean. A compound bow's draw is measured in pounds. Most crossbows are measured in their bolt FPS.

My crossbow is a Barnett Ghost 400. It shoots bolts at 400 fps.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

Heston Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 3:20:21

Next mrford will teach how to piss standing.
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

amy winehouse

Oct 3rd 2016, 3:56:10

Edited By: Primeval on Oct 3rd 2016, 17:20:40. Reason: edited for overly offensive content

Heston Game profile

Oct 3rd 2016, 16:50:36

Hey now. Project that anger towards you family and government. Its natural you feel angry and confused when you realize how different you are from men because your Canadian.
You keep learning about man fluff and being self sufficient. I dont want to bash that.

Now lets talk about the mother of a racist forum drunk Canadian with the masculinity of rosie odonnell. I bet she is a princess.
❤️️Nothing but❤️️💯❤️️❤️️🌺🌸🌹❤️❤️💯

Basil Game profile

Oct 10th 2016, 3:51:43

Bonus

Garry Owen Game profile

Oct 11th 2016, 6:00:08

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
- General George S. Patton

This really becomes simple and the M1 the hands-down winner because we are comparing to contemporary. And get past the technical loves of one design over the other and get down to what the rifles are made to do: Kill the enemy. Nothing in 1943-1945 beats the M1. Yes, it is a heavy bugger. Yes the ammo is heavy. But it SHOOTS SEMI AUTOMATIC and is very accurate AND IT SHOOTS SEMI AUTOMATIC. The advantage to volume of fire is tremendous, esp when everyone else is shooting back single shots. And not having to screw up your sight picture between rounds is pretty awesome too. And a 30.06 round that will blow thru walls and lots of other cover to get the bastard on the other side makes the ammo worth the weight.

I love my M1903 and it would be my preferred hunting rifle and actually just for fun shooting. But go to war with the garand.

Edited By: Garry Owen on Oct 11th 2016, 6:02:20
See Original Post

Azz Kikr Game profile

Wiki Mod

Oct 11th 2016, 16:51:12

The M16 was one of the first polymer guns. It probably had something todo with the no maintenence reputation. I'm not well versed in the origins of the reputation.

Crossbows use to be just for people with disabilities. Now they are unregulated where I hunt. Same rules as a compound bow.

bonus.
also, i know in iowa (where i ran the hell away from recently), xbow is still restricted to disabilities. the requirements are pretty loose though. i know a guy who lost a (non-essential to shooting a compound bow) finger to a combine, and is allowed to xbow. also gets an earlier start on the deer season. so, like many things, ymmv based on state :P

SAM_DANGER Game profile

Oct 14th 2016, 6:52:15

In WA, crossbows are still only allowed for gimps. Pisses me off. On the cover of our big game regs this year, there's a gimp with a crossbow and a big muley buck. Rub it in, why don'tcha, asshole!

fluffin gimps have all the luck!