Verified:

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 12:41:32

A horrible tragedy, it appears that at least 5 have died and over 150 injured in the West Texas Fertilizer Plant.
The shock measured as a 2.1 magnitude seismic event, according to U.S. Geological Survey.

Criminal activity is not suspected but it is not ruled out. At first glance, it seems to have been a mechanical malfunction.

Thoughts go out to the victims and families

Syko_Killa Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 12:45:30

its crazy that someone just happened to be there filming the plant prior to the explosion. Was it smoking beforehand?
Do as I say, not as I do.

bstrong86 Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 12:49:38

i'd imagine it caught on fire before exploding, and whoever was there or around used there phone and happened to catch the blast on video..which seemed pretty damned big since it leveled 60+ homes, an apartment complex and a nursing home..

they showed a googled map and the residences were a good distance from it
The Death Knights

XI

Syko_Killa Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 12:59:39

im guessing the workers stayed behind to try and put out the fire. I just didnt see the factory smoking in the video.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Dibs Ludicrous Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 13:09:20

Texas is a big state. the explosions there have to be just as big or they wouldn't notice them.
There are no messages in your Inbox.
Elvis has left the building.

Drow Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 13:24:47

it was already on fire ,and there were people there trying to put it out when it went up.
it's a terrible thing, not only for the oor buggers killed/injured, but also for all the people now suddenly homeless.
Apparently there are fears of the second tank going up.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Unsympathetic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 13:44:30

What a way to celebrate: The deadliest industrial accident in the history of the US occurred on 4/16/47 also in Texas.. and also with ammonium nitrate as its source of fuel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

Finally: Texas, it might not be the smartest of ideas to put a school across the street from a fertilizer plant.

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 13:51:50

wow unsympathetic, that was rather, unsympathetic. :/
but ya, poor planning never makes a situation like this easier. :(

and what a bizarre coincidence for this to happen on the anniversary

Apr 18th 2013, 14:07:18

oh, i can sue the Federal government and then be required to pay more taxes to pay for it. think Unsympathetic is unsympathetic, i was giggling when they showed the guy saying he thought an airplane engine fell thru the roof.

madjsp Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 14:17:47

Originally posted by Unsympathetic:
What a way to celebrate: The deadliest industrial accident in the history of the US occurred on 4/16/47 also in Texas.. and also with ammonium nitrate as its source of fuel.

Finally: Texas, it might not be the smartest of ideas to put a school across the street from a fertilizer plant.

We have an Anchor that flew miles from the plant, and they set up a memorial park for it.

I'm not sure what the wiki has, but in 47, a barge lit on fire, and there happened to be a barge with ammonium nitrate next to it. They did what they could to stop the fire. It blew windows out all the way to Galveston. It was said that Houston felt some of that blast as well.

I live in Texas City. We have a bunch of refineries and plants here. There was a Benzene leak about 4 or 5 years back too. It's dangerous living here!
-jonathan

joe3: bater sucks so bad imag could teach him a thing about war

archaic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 14:42:28

Going to be over 50 dead before its all said and done. I've been through West a few times, its a pretty small town, everything is pretty close to the plant.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

Drow Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 14:52:44

mad: was a recommissioned Liberty ship, named the Grandcamp. it went up, trashing the place, and setting a second recommissioned liberty ship, also carrying nitrate ammonium fertiiser, alight, which also then exploded. the anchor from the grandcamp was blown across the twon, and a prop from the second ship was found 1 1/2 miles inland, cracked and with a huge chunk blown out of it.

Paradigm President of failed speeling

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 14:59:00

Originally posted by archaic:
Going to be over 50 dead before its all said and done. I've been through West a few times, its a pretty small town, everything is pretty close to the plant.

:(

dibs, this is now two threads discussing lives lost and many injured that you seem to be making light of. i know we've established that you may fit somewhere on the autistic spectrum and i for one know you are probably intending to add value to the thread, which you often times do - but in matters of life lost, let's try to keep the jokes to other threads

Apr 18th 2013, 15:13:13

maybe you should think about the nature of life. it's not guaranteed. i can spend all day crying about the unfairness of life, but that ain't going to change what it is.

as to the autism, you might want to remember that it's entirely possible for me to be autistic and still be smarter than you. might even care more about people than you do, but it if it's beyond my ability to control what happens to them, what am i supposed to do? get pissed off and aggravated about life being unfair?

Edited By: Dibs Ludicrous on Apr 18th 2013, 15:18:36
See Original Post

madjsp Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 16:05:58

Drow, were you familiar with the incident, or was that info in the wiki? They still have people going to memorial park every year. We had a stay in belter warning here not too long ago, as well.

If one of the refineries went off here, and caused more to go, Galveston county would be screwed.
-jonathan

Apr 18th 2013, 16:08:50

Vic, i might have to put you in the same classification as my mom. she watches the news and starts crying because of all the bad stuff that people do in the world. i have no idea what that accomplishes. can you do something about it sitting there? no. even if you were there, would you do something about it, or would you join most people and run for your life?

Apr 18th 2013, 17:49:29

and unfortunately it's a booze day. so, yesterday I'm watching Obama tear into people that blocked the gun bill. and i think "oh shut up, don't you have to go drop some napalm on some foreigners or something?" compassion for all, or compassion for none. compassion for bouncing boobies.

mrford Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 18:09:57

Originally posted by madjsp:

We have an Anchor that flew miles from the plant, and they set up a memorial park for it.

I'm not sure what the wiki has, but in 47, a barge lit on fire, and there happened to be a barge with ammonium nitrate next to it. They did what they could to stop the fire. It blew windows out all the way to Galveston. It was said that Houston felt some of that blast as well.

I live in Texas City. We have a bunch of refineries and plants here. There was a Benzene leak about 4 or 5 years back too. It's dangerous living here!

um, from my understanding it wasnt a barge at all, it was an older liberty ship that had a fire on board and the fire fighters lost the battle with the fire, even steaming the cargo hold didnt work, and eventually the cargo exploded....

regardless 500+ ppl died in that explosion, many were along the shoreline watching the fire. and the entire town was pretty muck leveled. it is considered the 4th largest non nuclear explosion ever recorded.
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Apr 18th 2013, 18:25:42

Originally posted by mrford:

um, from my understanding it wasnt a barge at all, it was an older liberty ship that had a fire on board and the fire fighters lost the battle with the fire, even steaming the cargo hold didnt work, and eventually the cargo exploded....

regardless 500+ ppl died in that explosion, many were along the shoreline watching the fire. and the entire town was pretty muck leveled. it is considered the 4th largest non nuclear explosion ever recorded.

i was trying to find the propane explosion that messed up my Houston aunt's shingles from 26 miles away in the early 90s, but gave up because it seems like things blowup down there all the time. some kind of propane leak filled a valley and a car backfired or something while driving into it.

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 19:22:24

Dibs,
it's pretty simple. It's called empathy.

We can't do anything about the events, you are right. And by no means am I sitting here crying about it. But it is empathetic and a very human quality to wish well the victims and their families.

It is common sense to not make light of tragic events.
Again, i'm not saying go cry about it.

But have some humanity.

I'm not sure why you continue to go on your rants about Obama, in response to my posts. I am against most all of Obama's policies - both foreign and domestic. I have not voted for him, and in fact, voted against him. Multiple times.

I think it was deplorable of him to bring politics into Sandy Hook and his comments on the recent vote were nothing short of outrageous.

and finally to your statement
"as to the autism, you might want to remember that it's entirely possible for me to be autistic and still be smarter than you. might even care more about people than you do, but it if it's beyond my ability to control what happens to them, what am i supposed to do? get pissed off and aggravated about life being unfair?"

Well, I think that is it. You don't care more about people than I do. That is painfully evident in your lack of empathy. And again, it is ok. And i don't fault you for it. But it may be related to your spot on an Autistic Spectrum, wherever you may fit.

See if you care about people - you can rationalize that getting pissed off and aggravated about life being unfair does precisely nothing. But what you continue to miss is that - instead of simply saying "man that is horrible. feel bad for those involved" like any genuine person would and has , you not only didn't do that - but instead you make jokes.

you are insensitive and you lack empathy.

Apr 18th 2013, 19:29:44

or I'm too empathic and you bloody idiots are overloading my ability to deal with all the bloody nonsense that y'all are running around doing to each other.

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 19:31:35

Something like that :p

Apr 18th 2013, 19:35:48

and if Revelations is correct, Jesus is going to come back, swinging a sword and end up killing like 90% of the people anyway.

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 19:50:31

lmfao. i'm down with that bro

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 19:50:46

and +10000000 on that btw

Patience Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 21:38:54

Dibs: HEEL. :p
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Apr 18th 2013, 21:42:06

I'm technically a god in training. course, that could be a command from the minor love goddess deity of these forums.

Patience Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 21:45:53

Flattery will get you everywhere...

Wait. I mean NOWHERE! Yeah, that's it - flattery will get you NOWHERE! :p
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

Apr 18th 2013, 22:01:12

flattery is just foreplay. it's just meant to give you a preview of how much of an orgasm that you'd be required to fake.

Apr 18th 2013, 22:19:06

they stated that i should show more empathy. Dear God, I will gladly suffer all the turmoil of hell for an eternity if you can just forgive one of those idiots. no, wait, please forgive my arrogance, but I'm worth at least a million of those poor suffering idiots. i kinda attempted to follow whatever the frigging heck those idiots tried to program into my head from birth to 14 years of age.

Apr 18th 2013, 22:21:16

not my fault that i want to knock you up simply because you're a woman and breathing.

archaic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 23:05:10

OK, she's probably back to 'HEEL' now

Apr 18th 2013, 23:10:06

could be. but then i won't have to worry about her raising my children.

Vic Game profile

Apr 18th 2013, 23:39:49

Originally posted by Dibs Ludicrous:
not my fault that i want to knock you up simply because you're a woman and breathing.

hmmm. ok this is the sort of behavior that borders on sociopathic imho

Apr 18th 2013, 23:44:58

Originally posted by Vic:

yah, well, i think you should be really grateful that I'm not beating you to death simply because you decided to criticize me.

NukEvil Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 0:07:15

Don't feed the troll, guys and gals...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Vic Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 0:07:52

yah, well, i think you should be really grateful that I'm not beating you to death simply because you decided to criticize me.

what makes you think you could?
and that's fluffed up you creep show

archaic Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 0:30:07

Vic, I have to say - Dibs is doing wonders for your post count. Not only are you a Tier 1 player, but you are now an upper page 3 poster. If you keep trying to match Dibs post for post, You'll be page 1 before long.

Vic Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 0:38:39

heh, hi archaic.

dibs - listen. you are either a sociopath or a psychopath. you do not fit on the autistic spectrum - i've changed my opinion.

you see. a normal whack job might threaten to beat someone badly.
but the fact that you went as far as to say "you should be really grateful that I'm not beating you to death" .... NOT BEATING ME TO DEATH?
what a sick fluff.

seriously.

certifiable

Apr 19th 2013, 0:47:48

tell me, when you do your prayers at night, do you say Dear Lord, Please Forgive That Dibs Character For Not Understanding Your Word, or do you cower in your hole and pray that God will spare you from a visit by me?

archaic Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 0:55:03

I'm an atheist, I normally don't pray, but when I do - I pray for more Dos Equis

Apr 19th 2013, 0:56:25

heh, hi archaic.

dibs - listen. you are either a sociopath or a psychopath. you do not fit on the autistic spectrum - i've changed my opinion.

you see. a normal whack job might threaten to beat someone badly.
but the fact that you went as far as to say "you should be really grateful that I'm not beating you to death" .... NOT BEATING ME TO DEATH?
what a sick fluff.

seriously.

certifiable

I'm a force of nature. you can whine and you can complain about it, but it ain't going to do you any good. look into the mirror and you'll see that everything that you are projecting on me, is coming from you, not me.

Apr 19th 2013, 1:11:05

hmm, Vic thinks people use violence simply for coercion. i don't actually need you to do anything for me besides birth a baby, so why would i bother with coercion? killing simply because things bother me, is entirely within my nature. do some necromancy and ask any dead fly or mosquito that was dumb enough to buzz around me too long.

Apr 19th 2013, 1:32:25

and if it'll help you sleep better at night, oh, lookie, i had to get fingerprinted by the FBI for a job and received a nifty letter stating that i did not leave my fingerprints at any valid crime scene in the US. can you state that?

madjsp Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 2:56:04

I know nothing about boats, so i don't know the difference between a barge, liberty ship, etc. I just used what i knew. my bad.
-jonathan

Vic Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 3:01:24

mrford Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 6:32:19

the liberty ships are what won us WWII. show some respect to murica and do some research
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Vic Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 9:07:51

the liberty ships are what won us WWII. show some respect to murica and do some research

madjsp Game profile

Apr 19th 2013, 12:46:02

Just because I don't know what a Liberty ship is, doesn't mean I don't respect my country. I wouldn't be to hasty to judge people over a lack of knowledge on WWII boats.
-jonathan

Apr 19th 2013, 13:11:44

why wouldn't Liberty ships be listed in my Encyclopaedia Britannica? they all look like boats to me. i should've joined the Navy instead of the AF.