Verified:

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:28:36

praetor:

i'm not questioning whether stewy was a "good leader" or anyting... I'm just saying that it displays the kind of character SoL leaders have to basically lie to their membership about who is actually leading their alliance

-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:34:40

no thomas, land:land (not including ghost acres) increases land, because everyone gains from the hit. I hit you for 500a + 250 ghost, you hit me back to 490a + 280 ghost acres, we're both up 250+ acres, the server is up 530a.

If I hit you 1 time and you're doing a 2:1 retal policy (or greater), and I get 500a + 250 ghost, you hit me back for 490a + 280 ghost on the first hit, then 450a + 240ghost, you're up a lot of land and I'm down a lot of land. The server gains 770a, which I agree is MORE acres.. but since I would know this going in, I wouldn't make the the hit in the first place, so the increased land on the server is 0.

2:1 escalating encourages all-x's because you know if you hit alliance X, you will lose more than you gained, causing you to decide to explore instead. This is basic economic theory.... come on now :p

I'm not a huge fan of land:land either, but it's the best system out of those which have been presented in terms of creating land and making everyone happy. Land:land is the only system which, with ghost acres, leaves the attacker and defender with more acres than they started with which is a win for everyone.

There was a time when land:land was absolutely necessary based on former game mechanics, though, which should not be confused with this discussion.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Detmer Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:37:35

L:L is not inherently bad for the game - it could work given ghost acres with a different social psychology. That being said empirically L:L does stifle grabbing and it needs to be something that is clipped. 1:1 cross alliance and L:L country to country makes sense from an artificial fairness stand point AND that it encourages a country to carry it's own offense and be a grabber. Pure 1:1 encourages all-ex again as the magnitude of the land gains becomes negated and the only logical way to retal is have a tiered by NW retal structure with max mil strat tyrannies jetters who feed the land back to the people who lost land. This creates unnecessary complexity and re-encourages all-ex but in a different way.

Thomas Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:40:34

Originally posted by Pang:
If I hit you 1 time and you're doing a 2:1 retal policy (or greater), and I get 500a + 250 ghost, you hit me back for 490a + 280 ghost on the first hit, then 450a + 240ghost, you're up a lot of land and I'm down a lot of land.

Who said anything about 2:1? We enforce 1:1.

Now even with 1:1, both sides win due to ghost acres. But one side will bring home the shark's share nearly every time. It requires the retallers and grabbers to plan, maintain defense, have techs and do the calculations.

With L:L I could do none of that and just hit until I get all the land back. And the country being retalled would lose more military etc. on the exchange.

I see no benefit of L:L. But we can agree to disagree. We're clearly both on the opposite sides of the spectrum on this.

PraetorNLS Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:41:06

i dont se your point, Stewy was a SOLer, he joined as a member and worked his way up like anyone else, that he asked for his forner identity not to be revealed until he himself choose it, thats another mather and imo not releated.
He did a good job and was commited to SOL, thats why he was promoted time after time, his experience ofcourse helping.

If we would have brought someone from the outside in to lead the alliance like your trying to spin it, you would have a point, but since this is not the case, you dont.
Praetor - disqualified from the human race for being three laps ahead in the second round.

Thomas Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:43:45

Originally posted by Detmer:
L:L is not inherently bad for the game - it could work given ghost acres with a different social psychology. That being said empirically L:L does stifle grabbing and it needs to be something that is clipped. 1:1 cross alliance and L:L country to country makes sense from an artificial fairness stand point AND that it encourages a country to carry it's own offense and be a grabber. Pure 1:1 encourages all-ex again as the magnitude of the land gains becomes negated and the only logical way to retal is have a tiered by NW retal structure with max mil strat tyrannies jetters who feed the land back to the people who lost land. This creates unnecessary complexity and re-encourages all-ex but in a different way.

Or encourages people to actually have military and the military techs. That would be a shock, I know.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:51:29

Originally posted by Thomas:

Or encourages people to actually have military and the military techs. That would be a shock, I know.

No, it encourages the person with offense and tech who is nearest the NW to make the attack and then take the returns from them. When you are retalling for yourself you can not control the NW of the person who attacked you. If there is no incentive to retal for yourself then it makes sense to go to a system where retals hurt the attacker most and then the defender can get full returns from the retaller while playing lazily. If retalling for yourself has benefits then people will carry offense. If retalling for yourself gets worse returns people will stick with the Tyr/mil strat/tiered NW retal team system that is in place and nothing will change.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:51:39

I completely disagree with everything being said here by everyone who hates land:land :p

and praetor -> that's fine if you liked him...

but I always thought it was kind of weird that SoL, after being beaten fluffless by IX for so long would allow one of their heads to come and join up and lead the alliance, while the members are kept in the dark.

I guess SoL isn't known for transparency anyways... even to their own members it seems :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Thomas Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:55:14

No, it encourages the person with offense and tech who is nearest the NW to make the attack and then take the returns from them. When you are retalling for yourself you can not control the NW of the person who attacked you. If there is no incentive to retal for yourself then it makes sense to go to a system where retals hurt the attacker most and then the defender can get full returns from the retaller while playing lazily. If retalling for yourself has benefits then people will carry offense. If retalling for yourself gets worse returns people will stick with the Tyr/mil strat/tiered NW retal team system that is in place and nothing will change.

There's no reason why someone can't buy up Jets & Military Strat and retal themselves.

PraetorNLS Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:55:38

How many of your members knows how many Colors are in LaF ?
Praetor - disqualified from the human race for being three laps ahead in the second round.

Detmer Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 19:59:51

Terribly inefficient. The lazy way of all-explore + retal team is hugely more efficient than that. Anyone who knows how to run a decent country will use that system.

There's no reason why someone can't buy up Jets & Military Strat and retal themselves.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 23rd 2010, 20:05:16

Anyone in LaF who asks will get the accurate answer of the number of "colours" in LaF...

the days of a closed LaF have been over for about 2 or 3 years.... since around the time that i got into leadership and made a push to keep everything squeaky clean :)

but that is how this conversation got started... Hobo dropping an RD comment for no good reason :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 23rd 2010, 20:15:36

LaF has never really been "closed" when it comes to providing info to our members. If anything we were always too open with them regarding what is going on (not that being open is bad in of itself, but it has negative consequences such as increasing the effectiveness of spying).

How many RD members are in LaF? Well... in order for LaF to distribute an accurate answer on that we would have to know the answer, wouldn't we?

Edited By: H4xOr WaNgEr on Sep 23rd 2010, 20:38:56
See Original Post

BobbyATA Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 20:26:42

LOL absolutely love your Bo Burnham reference 30 posts ago Pang=)

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

Sep 23rd 2010, 20:30:46

LAF IS RD! IT IS RULED BY THE IRON FIST OF MR fluffY
umm yeah
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!

aponic Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 22:19:59

thomas: the problem with dumping money into mil strat or jets when netting is that you have to

1. pay the upkeep costs
2. invest that money into commodeties at a higher price later (bushels or oil) or not purchase the tech which increases your gross production
3. liquidate this excess military losing 6% to taxes each way, or in the case of a democracy, you are blessed with losing only one extra turn.

what is much better is that one simply allows a low nw all jetter to take the hit. a 1:1 policy has merit, i am not denying that it makes certain political statements and helps feed the aggressive nature of war-seeking alliances. however, it also promotes intag farming to get back one's land.

say what you want, but don't ask a stupid question like "why doesn't that country just buy 4 million jets and 50k mil-strat tech". You sound like you don't know the basic concepts of the game.
SOF
Cerevisi

Thomas Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 23:05:20

If the land isn't worth the country buying up for it, then he doesn't deserve it.

I don't think it would be bad for the game if people stopped running landfat countries. Protect your investment. If you want to keep the land, then get more defense.

Surely if someone wants to hit you bad enough, they will. But if they're smart they will look for better targets. And if they still decide to hit you, at least make them pay to do it.

aponic Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 23:17:01

i agree with your attitude. that is why i play primary instead.
SOF
Cerevisi

Thomas Game profile

Sep 23rd 2010, 23:20:14

Play in Collab instead :)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 23rd 2010, 23:53:53

Why argue with someone who has no principles?

Dragonlance Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 0:03:27

The less said about Angy the better for SoL's sake. Alot of alliances in EE would appreciate it if SoL moved as far away as possible from any association with him.

dagga Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 0:13:13

Pangaearr, you are a massive troll.. On top of that the sour grapes you currently harbour seep through your posts like a foul stench.

The only difference between you and me is that you are supposed to maintain a level of partisanship. You clearly cannot do that and you bombard anyone who questions your 'motives' with a guilt trip over how you saved the game, saved the server, and possibly saved the trees and the whales while you were at it.

G F Y.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

INVINCIBLE IRONMAN Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 1:10:08

Feel the Love!!!
I got to say after all these years the love fest still continues.
I dig it for all the old time players but I got to ask if a new player will be attracted to this??

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 24th 2010, 1:12:29

the only people who "question my motives" are trolls like yourself, dagga :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 1:36:09

Jeebus, why would you even respond to dagga? This has been a fairly enjoyable intelligent discourse, if you just ignore him it can continue to be.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

swagger of a cripple.
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

deepcode Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 1:39:09

Defense?

The only defense i'm forced to carry is enough to stop the untagged players from pot-shotting me. Cause they always sit in heavy DR's and its so hard to recover from them when they smack you around.

My defense is always there, sitting in technology and stock, it is simply a matter of transforming it into some jets and taking back what is mine.

That whole argument is ludicrous. I should get more defense? why? How about this, if you want my bloody land so bad and try to take it.... why dont YOU GET MOAAR DEFENSE .. you know, so you can keep it.

archaic Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 2:14:31

I always thought it was kind of weird that SoL, after being beaten fluffless by IX for so long would allow one of their heads to come and join up and lead the alliance, while the members are kept in the darktheir own members it seems :p

You obviously don't understand business then

Originally posted by deepcode:
My defense is always there, sitting in technology and stock, it is simply a matter of transforming it into some jets and taking back what is mine.

Amen brutha, a billion in cash is all the defense I have ever needed;) Nothing quite like when that 2M NW guy you just grabbed becomes a 5M NW Jetter who turns around and pwns your ass to encourage better target selection.
Cheating Mod Hall of Shame: Dark Morbid, Turtle Crawler, Sov

locket Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 6:28:15

Having more defense dosnt stop someone who wants your land bad enough ;) it only discourages the randoms. And somehow being proud of having someone who was more then likely cheating in your tag praetor is pathetic. Angy was pretty bad for the game overall.

Starwulf Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 7:17:00

The funniest things I've noticed since coming back to the game, is that there are still massive arguments on AT about grabbing/retal policies, that LaF now has the Country advantage, whereas(for this set it appears) SOL has the NW advantage, and that Dagga is STILL a troll that annoys the living crap out of me and I honestly wonder why my old buddies over at SOL still tolerate his nonsensical ranting that does nothing more then drag SOLs honorable reputation through the mud(I swear, even when I was a SOLer, I didn't understand it, even asked the leadership why, don't even recall the answer I got).

Other then that, I have nothing to add to the debate. I see the logical, positve points of each side, and I also see the negative points as well. Maybe someday someone will come up with the perfect solution, though there is a good possibility that the day that happens, the game will likely die, since most of the wars I've ever seen fought were over "Policy". The rest were over "I just don't like such and such, lets kill them" :)

It was great warring against ya SOLers, I wish I had been home to wall when you killed me the other night, but at least I got to break 500+ hits with my less then 3 1/2 weeks old country. It was hilarious a few hours before I died, btw, I was hitting and the person I was hitting was saying "No, stop starwulf". I swear I nearly pissed myself I was laughing so hard :).

Edited By: Starwulf on Sep 24th 2010, 7:19:12
See Original Post

PraetorNLS Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 7:23:09

Im waiting for Swamp Battelguard and Lava battelguard to battel it out in a few days :P

Deerhunter Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 7:32:58

lol im waiting for that too.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

Starwulf Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 10:20:22

Lol, I can't, in good conscious hit Swampie, as I know exactly when is he or isn't home at almost any given time. On the other hand, he knows i'm home almost all the time. Kind of unfair ^^

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Sep 24th 2010, 11:53:37

wait so was this war really about policy, or did SOL just want a fight?

what are the "official" LaF and SOL views, I've lost track?
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

TeckMing Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 12:05:15

SOL said it's over policy, LAF claims SOL just wants to war. Depends on you, which version you want to believe :P

dagga Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 12:28:14

Starwulf, you're a blowhard that now plays for LaF. You have no idea what being a SOL member truly means.
signatures are stupid.

NukEvil Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 13:21:19

I truly hope that one day, the game admins will code in a new superweapon to the game. You aim it at a country of your choice and fire.

Then, this superweapon records any news of any killruns made on that country and saves them in a file or something. Then, when that country dies, the superweapon will activate its time machine, send that country back in time to just before the killrun was started on it, then run the country through the killrun again and again until the end of the set.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Sep 24th 2010, 14:26:27

LaF is NOT claiming that SOL hit us just because they wanted to war...

aponic Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 16:46:19

Originally posted by Slagpit:
Why argue with someone who has no principles?

Are you trying to say that I have no principals Slagpit?

Edited By: aponic on Sep 24th 2010, 19:03:29
See Original Post
SOF
Cerevisi

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 24th 2010, 17:31:46

I wasn't talking about you.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Sep 24th 2010, 17:43:52

There's no need to start that back up again, aponic. I thought it was obvious that Slag was talking about someone else.

I hope the whole idea of "if we can't get along, let's just avoid each other" can still work for you guys :p

Edited By: Pang on Sep 24th 2010, 17:47:38
See Original Post
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff

Starwulf Game profile

Sep 24th 2010, 18:46:04

Originally posted by dagga:
Starwulf, you're a blowhard that now plays for LaF. You have no idea what being a SOL member truly means.

You're probably the only SOL member that thinks that Dagga. You were an idiot when I was in SOL, and you're an Idiot now. SOL should have booted you a decade ago.

TeckMing Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 3:36:17

Originally posted by H4xOr WaNgEr:
LaF is NOT claiming that SOL hit us just because they wanted to war...

then what LAF thinks? i made this assumption reading LAFers posts saying SOL's reason to go into this war is not reasonable

ClayQ Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 18:20:02

crazyserb: would you expect SoL to do equally as well as LaF netting next set, should both net?

No because a difference in LG policies gives LaF an advantage netting.

Everything else equal, in an unmolested netting set, this alone gives LaF the win.

locket Game profile

Sep 25th 2010, 22:00:13

Clay not to insult you since you are pretty great at clicking in tlk but our average member doing an all explore would keep up with almost your entire clan id say :P Netting fight? ;)

dagga Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 8:25:31

Being a great netting alliance means jack-fluff if you can't defend your land through policy or war.
signatures are stupid.

locket Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 9:31:15

1 win in a war and you get fluffy ;) where was this during your last war? Pretty sure you got beat down.

Oh and I am quite certain laf protects their land nicely ;) Sol just dosnt have land to protect in ur average set :P

dagga Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 14:48:45

1 win? lol
signatures are stupid.

locket Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 20:00:46

yes... you got spanked your last war.. this is 1 win... beating laf could count for 2 if you want? Since we are that awesome but yah...

mdevol Game profile

Sep 26th 2010, 21:35:57

Originally posted by locket:
beating laf could count for 2 if you want? Since we are that awesome but yah...

or just that much bigger than SOL when the war started?
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

locket Game profile

Sep 27th 2010, 7:55:37

yes we clearly had 80 members