Verified:

Pain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 21:50:48

and then you could bounce it because you miss calculated the tanks, right k4f? :)

bottom line here is noone has posted legit reason for not self farming that hasnt be refuted and proven wrong. i havent self farmed in over 2 sets, but i certainly will fight for the right for others to do it.
Your mother is a nice woman

Pain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 21:51:59

oh and to dedly, before you make yourself look dumber, go do some research on what FoG is then get back to me with its relation to self farming.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 21:58:19

Damn tanks. I didn't miscalculate them, I forgot they were there!
So many ways to die, only one way to live...
NBK

Pain Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 22:00:11

them my plan worked. had em hidden in a hangar. better give your spies a raise, they might work harder :P

Drinks Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 22:10:08

So far the main arguement against self farming has been a loss in player interaction.

And yet majority of self farmers who have posted here have said they would either bottom feed untags or all explore. How is this helping interaction at all?

Plus banning it would probably cause a membership drop cause doing 16 all explorers is aboring as fluff.

(if everyone in the server self farmed, you would still see cross tag grabs, Because hey if my 20k acre farmland is close to the nw of a 60k acres country, Sure why the hell not grab it)

Edited By: Drinks on Feb 2nd 2011, 22:14:47
See Original Post
<Drinks> going to bed
<Drinks> pm me if I get hit
<-- Drinks is now known as DrinksInBed -->
<DrinksInBed> looks like I'm an alcoholic

llaar Game profile

Feb 2nd 2011, 23:54:29

have fun slag, i look forward to seeing what you make :)

Popcom Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 0:58:47

its far far far more chalanging to get high NW with all x then self farming. so shouldn't self farming be boring as fluff?
1A - BLOWS
FFA- NBK4Life

~If at first you don't succeed, you are clearly not Popcom~

Dragon Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 1:03:30

It's boring. To me anyways. It's novel and fun for about the first week or two you do it.

There is a skill set involved though. If you're actually self-farming as a strategy, you have to manage your land properly. I think accountants would love self farming.

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:36:47

cap land at 50k. problem solved.

synoder Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:42:28

I started reading and got sleepy so if this is repititious then a mod can delete it. lol

I wouldn't go so far as to say that self farming is bad for the server as it sits right now but I will give ya a couple things to think about...

FFA will need to either become a completely self farming server or completely non self farming server because its impossible to compete with self farmers in netting which I dont think there is any argument on. As it is right now none of the war clans self farm but if they did then it would give them a HUGE advantage and the other war clans would have to either start oop warring them every set or start self farming as well to keep up.

so basically the server would become a who can self farm the best challenge and netting would be pretty watered down. I dont know whether it would be a good thing or a bad thing but basically we cant stay in this hybrid state for long cause all it will take is one war clan self farming/land trading and FSing someone a few weeks in with like triple the NW for things to slide really quick. I can't really picture a fully self farming server being very fun but who knows I dont claim to know everything ;) I can imagine that it would totally change the dynamics of the server so who knows, maybe it will stir things up a bit.

ps. it took me like 45min to finish that cause I kept getting distracted.

Angryjesus Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:45:09

Self farming doesn't give advantage warring at all. It costs more resources to self farm, resources that then can't be used warring.

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:47:56

yea sorry synoder by stating that self farming would give a warring country a large advantage has just killed your credibility in the arguement. clearly youve never self farmed. the turns and money wasted are terrible for a war build unless you plan on having a week 6 war.

synoder Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:52:09

nah I have never self farmed so I could be wrong. Land trading was more of what I was thinking cause having 1 big country and 15 small ones wouldn't be that great. Say for instance that TKO country with 40k acres right now stopped farming and built for the next week/2 weeks you think my country that is at 5k acres would be better built for war?

KeTcHuP Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:54:13

your 16 4k acer countries can Chem kill teh top one, adn the 15 that have been getting farmed will be far weaker then your countries
Ketchup the Thoughtful Suicidier

Pain Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 2:55:52

yea sure, he has 1 awesome country and 15 crap countries. id much rather have 16 well rounded countries. itll be a week before he has all those aacres built and able to start making money/teching. that country wouldnt be useful in a war til at least week 3 and at that point if you can build a country worth a fluff, killing it will be easy.

synoder Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 3:06:24

hmm makes me want to test it ;) Seems like you would be able to land trade and be ready faster than what you are saying but I will take your word for it cause you guys have tons more experience than I do in that area.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 3rd 2011, 14:14:07

Self farming the way you, bleh, netters do, kills you for war. Doing a round robin farming spree, you can nearly double the land of your countries within a day, and have most of it built up too.

I guarantee any single one of you, that I can have better war countries self farming after say 2 weeks, then you could have without self farming.

The strategies just have to change a bit for how you do it, but you wouldn't wanna face what I would have afterwards.
NBK

Makinso Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 0:28:31

Well Slag is a good thread starter aye?

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 0:30:42

Although like 70% of the thread is NBK and IMP, good debate topics. Although I am somewhat tempted to use self farming to make all powerful killers.
NBK

Billyjoe of UCF Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 0:51:43

i could be wrong but i don't think focus self farms... with that being said we do not have a policy against it.

and if we do self farm i'm not aware because i had DM make the news leave out self hits unless i want to see them!

Billyjoe of UCF Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:04:35

sorry i know the claim that focus self farms came a while ago. but truth is i don't think we do at least not regularly, and not at all this set. but like i say nothing against it.

I don't do it mainly because I'm truly that lazy. I've always been all explore, could care less about my net at the end of the set!

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:08:30

Focus did do it, but it is intermittent by just a couple members.
NBK

KeTcHuP Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:13:39

K4F- Id be worried about tech %s and SPAL if you self farm and war.

synoder Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:15:22

what if you dropped land during the fs? that may kinda defeat the purpose tho cause you probably wouldn't have had that much time to benefit from the land.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:20:03

Ketchup, do you think I would make a claim without having a plan for it :P

I would be well set. Tech % would be lower, but military would be a lot higher. Spal is taken care of.
NBK

KyleCleric Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:22:20

I doubt it would be that hard. Probably would be a lot of fun to try.
This is our fluffing city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.

KeTcHuP Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:23:37

So next set IMP non-self famring vs NBK self ffarming week 2 war.

DO IT =D haha

OrigOzzyB

Feb 4th 2011, 1:26:38

And NBK has no pacts because they are now the self-farmers...

synoder Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:30:09

lol

KyleCleric Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:37:58

why is that? we don't self farm and don't require our allies not to self farm. :)
This is our fluffing city. And no one is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:44:15

A few very good reasons.
One is that we don't like it when people self farm instead of attacking us in general.
Second, if we pact one self farming clan, based on the nature of NBK's grabbing habbits, it completely unbalances the netting competitions.
And thirdly, we want your land.

I am more tempted to prove that it can be done exceptionally well, instead of the actual desire to be a higher NW.
NBK

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Feb 4th 2011, 1:47:43

Hm... I had been planning on keeping up with this thread, but the "bot" screwed with that.

Kill4Free Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:54:26

A worthy sacrifice. If I had to choose between bots and self farming, I would choose self farming, lol.
NBK

synoder Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 1:55:43

if I had to choose between bots and self farming I would play farmville with my wife.

Havoc Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 2:00:12

self-farming bots ftw.
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

LeftyHa8er Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 3:41:10

with 0 mill free land for all

Havoc Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 5:07:46

I like it
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

gambit Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 22:11:27

i actually live in a town called farmville...

and i play with synoder's wife all the time
Natural Born Killer

LeftyHa8er Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 22:19:22

LMAO

synoder Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 23:13:08

yeah she said you suck at scrabble gambit.

LeftyHa8er Game profile

Feb 4th 2011, 23:21:48

oh burn

NightShade

Feb 5th 2011, 9:08:41

While I do not condone self-farming, I do not condemn it neither, as some of my past members through the last decade have done it. However, one has to realize too, that with some tags out there -- that some tags are more heavily pacted than others, and while some upstart rookie tag that may know half of what their doing, they would (at least I hope) know that grabbing some of the larger tags is akin to painting a bulls-eye on your tag for the rest of that set if not following sets.

In some cases some tags have had to do it to survive, in other cases it's been more as a strategy to build the largest country possible to either break the land record or break the record for highest networth for a single country. As far as the former, I see no problems with it, even if you want to complain or get all sanctimonious about the subject. As for the latter, Some of the larger alliances (we all know who they are) have been practicing this for at least the last decade if not longer.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. Stryke
Originally posted by Bsnake:
I was sitting there wondering how many I could kill with one set of chopsticks

NightShade

Feb 5th 2011, 9:09:56

Edit: Double post.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President

a.k.a. Stryke

KeTcHuP Game profile

Feb 5th 2011, 12:04:38

Originally posted by NightShade:
\ in other cases it's been more as a strategy to build the largest country possible to either break the land record or break the record for highest networth for a single country.
Or to set the highest ave net. This can be about more then pumping one country.

NightShade

Feb 5th 2011, 13:26:07

True... then again, I haven't been one to follow the status quo, and that I believe is what has set myself and SOTA apart from the rest for the last decade.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President

a.k.a. Stryke

NightShade

Feb 16th 2011, 4:14:29

Again. Since this trend began in Earth: 2025 Free For All, I have always maintained the position that while I do not condone it, I will not condemn anyone for it either.
SOTA • GNV
SOTA President

a.k.a. Stryke

QM Diver Game profile

Feb 20th 2011, 14:03:07

Well, one aspect of self farming unsaid is:

The two have nothing in common when looking at the stats for the respective styles of play.. As far as I know, the traditional style, (non self farming) doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell, to win the game, in the FFA server! And this is a disservice to those that have learned the skills needed that are involved in making successful land grabs. What is similar to grabbing everyone else but your countries, and grabbing nothing but your countries? I see it as apples and oranges.. They both may be fruit, but they sure as hell don't taste the same.
The dynamic is completely different. IMO it's SO different, I see it as cheating. (I can hear the flamers)

So, for example, when looking at the rankings for top land totals, it really doesn't reflect bonafide/traditional acres grabbed. From my point of view, these rankings are not correct, and shouldn't be tallied because you have grabbed your own land to begin with! This defeats the whole purpose of grabbing land.

Laars, made this pretty evident. Especially when referring to the most land grabbed category. You can't tell me that the 123,637,557 acres shown there, were properly earned.
You hit another clan's country, big or small, 20 times, unless you are a very smooth talker (outstanding FA), that country will be dead. (This also touches on the player interaction issue)

There are more of these rankings that also reflect the wrong stats.. just doesn't reflect the 'true' numbers.. Perhaps if these were split into acres via self farming, and traditional acres grabbed, it may be a much truer view..

When you get land from your own countries, you LOSE military in both countries.

Some of NBK's crew, really enjoy looking at these statistics. It's fun to see how we all stand.

There's an inherent fundamental problem here.. When your countries attack each other, it violates your own people and military, not to mention pacts between themselves..
They aren't, I believe by design, to attack each other.

To sum it up, one of our crew put it this way....

"self farming is wrong .....self infliction of pain.."

Thanks for listening..

QM Diver
NBK PreZ

Edited By: QM Diver on Feb 20th 2011, 14:14:01
See Original Post
Natural Born Killers
PreZ

GunGrave Game profile

Feb 20th 2011, 14:30:56

because self farming is like masturbation with your little brother... disturbing on so many levels
Death smile upon all men,
all a man can do is smile back,
so come on... lets put a smile on that face. :D

Asst. Foreign Affairs
Natural Born Killers
email -
irc - irc.gamesurge.net #NBK

Rockman Game profile

Feb 20th 2011, 14:50:42

Originally posted by GunGrave:
because self farming is like masturbation with your little brother... disturbing on so many levels

And how exactly is it disturbing?

Not self farming is like having sex with Gungrave. Completely boring and unexciting and it'll put you to sleep better than Nyquil.

See how easy it is to make analogies?

kemo Game profile

Feb 20th 2011, 18:33:51

itd all be solved if hitting within your own tag yeilded no ghost acres :P then you could still do it and it wouldnt make you as massive thus slightly gooder competition among the self farmers and ones who dont
all praised to ra